Topsheet Bitts

BANYAN

Hi all, in urgent need of advice and suggestions from our more experienced members WRT Sheet Bitts.

'HMCSS Victoria's' Contract (Specification) calls for Top sheet Bitts to all masts, then in a separate area calls for "Gallows, Cross pieces and Bitts".  There are several questions here which I list below but first some background.

Firstly, there no scantlings are provided.  Secondly, the only upper deck photos shows the Mizen Bitts only, and this pair do not have cross pieces, or stub cross pieces.  Thirdly please note these are for Top Sheet Falls/pendants.  Lastly, the photo shows a set of 'horns' or 'thin ears at the top, rather than knightheads, which are used for belaying, and the fitting of a cleat to the inboard face of the Bitt.  Also, each mast was fitted with a Spider band for belaying pins.

2045800906_HelmsmanHMCSSVictoria(resized).thumb.jpg.1ddc05a9118719de64f1eeaca5423307.jpg

Contemporary plans for the Arrow and Vigilant Class Gun Despatch Vessels (GDV) show cross pieces fitted to the Fore and Main mast Bitts and stand individual Bitts for the Mizen  so I am assuming this will have been the fit for the 'Victoria' also as she is very much based on these types of vessel.  From these plans I have ascertained the molded size of the Bitts will be 8 inches.

Now the questions:

1.  The plans for the GDVs have the fore and Main mast bitts fitted at significant inclination aft of the vertical; I am assuming to allow a more direct belay as the masts are inclined aft more than usual.  Will this angle have carried on below deck or straightened to be more vertical.

2.  Any ideas on how high these would be?  The Bulwarks are only 2 ft 6 inches and the tops of these are about level with the them and the waists of the men.  This would make them about 3 feet  but this doesn't accord with other descriptions (though for earlier ships).

3.  Would the riser timbers be 8 inch square?

4.  Where would the Gallows been fitted as the wording implies they were part of the Bitts?  Nothing in any imagery, she did not carry boats internally etc.   Is there another meaning/definition for "Gallows" (as in Fife rails?)?  

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Good Morning Pat;

I can help with some of your questions, but this is somewhat outside the period I know best. My answers are general, not specific to the particular vessel you are modelling.

3. The part of the bitts below deck was frequently tapered, and became noticeably thinner in a fore and aft direction by the time they reached the deck beams below.

4. The gallows was fitted to extended topsail sheet bitts, being around 5'6" - 6' high to the underside. The crossbeam on the top extended beyond the bitt pins. It was frequently used either to support a walkway projecting forward from the quarterdeck, or the spare spars for the ship. I have never seen a gallows referred to in any context but as an extended set of bitts with a high-level crossbeam.

See below for an example of 'horned' bitts, from the framed model of Bellona, & an 18th century gallows from Royal William. The top surface follows the deck camber.

All the best,

Mark P

bitts.PNG.9010162fb4bcffb1d01f351e55ca6cf6.PNG

839094652_RoyalWilliamgallows.PNG.bcb06ad338de62a3e905a986d965be55.PNG

Edited by Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Thank you very much Mark, much appreciate the information.  I will assume then that one of the Bitts, probably the Fore mast, was fitted with a 'gallows' which i am also assuming will be separate to the Belfry.  I am starting to develop an idea that the Fore Bitts had a crosspiece, a gallows and the Belfry was on top of that.

The attached is from one (of two) the lithographs of the ship I have which shows the Belfry perched higher then the Bulwarks.  The fore-and-aft attitude of the belfry may be a perspective thing.  A profile photograph of the ship (built 1855) taken c1868, which I have cleaned up a little shows a life ring and much other gear aft of the Foremast.  Note from the photo that may be possible the belfry did sit along a fore-and-aft gallows?  There certainly was a lot of gear just abft this mast.  It is also like this area housed a 100 gallon iron freshwater tank (specified in the Contract and this is the only real place it could befitted without interference with other eqipment/operations (BUT I am possible - no probably - wrong with that too :(

The third image is a crop of the Vigilant class Gun Despatch Vessel "Alacrity' c1856, and shows the rake aft of the bitts in these vessels.

cheers

Pat

1013566875_BellandBelfrey.jpg.87e4957912d1108d5b7a9eece620a78b.jpg  1582388287_HMCSSVictoriaLowerForemastDetail.jpg.cdbd6de256313ae6333b1e10431651fd.jpg  728298153_VigilantClassBitts.jpg.ee12e26fc68d8faab06b1bb61b0f5ed3.jpg

Hi all, further to previous posts, I have established from Fincham (a contemporary author, and probably known by more experienced in rigging practices), that at least in this period, the jeer bitts were generally positioned abaft, and Topmast Sheet Bitts before the respective masts.  This accords to the imagery I have showing the rigging, namely that clew lines etc are shown with the falls etc before the masts.  This arrangement supports the fact the lower yards were stood well proud and forward of the mast with the use of iron patent parrels/trusses, and that the fitting of the fore and aft sail booms would require a clear arc of operation abaft the mast.  Additionally, the masts in this ship were raked much further aft than usual practice, being 5, 10 and 15 degrees for the Fore, Main and Mizen respectively.

Accordingly, my assumptions, at this point, are that she had Topmast Sheet Bitts before the Fore and Main masts, and although positioned abaft the Mizen, that pair of Bitts served a different purpose (established from the imagery) as 'Victoria' did not carry a crossjack (Specification and Rigging Warrant confirm this).  Also based on the limited amount of detail in the profile photograph, a crop of which is shown previously, I believe a Gallows was fitted abaft the Foremast, with the forward end having the belfry mounted on top and a lifering fitted either side on extended rails.

Goodwin, page 220, provides the scantlings and heights etc for the Bitts and crosspieces; and Fincham advises that, in this period, the gallows cross piece upper surface was generally  5 feet above the deck planks (which generally conforms to Mark's advice above).  I will continue to use 8 inches square ad the scantling for the Bitts themselves, as this conforms to the size drawn in the contemporary Arrow and Vigilant Class plans, and as determined from the photograph.  The latter being derived by the approximate median sizer of the planking transposed upon the bitt size shown in the photograph of the crew on the after upper deck.

Also from the 'Specification' I have established 'Victoria' had "handsome end boards to the Gallows", and that a 100 gallon freshwater (FW) tank was to be fitted on the upper deck (location not specified).  I think the dark 'mass' evident in the photograph crop may be this FW tank, as this is realistically the only place it could be fitted without interfering with the operation of other fittings or rigging.  As such, I think the Gallows acted as a the supporting external frame (exo-skeleton) for this FW tank.  A 100 gallon tank, sized to fit in this space will have had the top part higher than the cap rails/bulwarks to accommodate that volume.

I would appreciate any further thoughts on my assumptions, and any errors of deduction I may have made.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN