depth setting aid for proxxon MB200 drill stand

I have an MB200 drill stand from proxxon and I mostly use it for precision milling work. As a drill stand it only has a handle to do the setting of the depth that is indicated by a mm scale. For small depth settings below 1 mm it becomes difficult to adjust the depth to the wanted value.

So I decided to improve the MB200 and fit an auxiliary depth feed screw on top.

AS depth feed screw I use a micrometer head with 13 mm range (bought in China for 9 euro’s, but works very well). All the other parts to fix it on top of the MB200 are aluminium that I had available (piece of 40x20mm rectangular profile, 2 mm thick and some 5 mm thick flat extruded profile).

Here is a model of what I tried to make.

milling-depth-adjuster.png.d70a995a209e6912c95260e0496b6d08.png

It is just a support (the rectangular alu profile) that needs an inside rounding at its bottom to fit the die-cast aluminium body (R=40 mm) of the MB200. On top of that there is a lid with 2 holes (20 mm apart) to mount the support with 2x M4x35 to the body. It also has 2 holes with M3 thread to fix the micrometer holder plate in 2 positions.

Here are the machined parts.

DSCF2282k.jpg.83bb2e9b178c4e3ae0dffad5aa7a02e4.jpg

Next you see the MB200 with the 2 marks where a thread M4 is to be made and in a larger drill stand just before drilling with 3.3 mm.

DSCF2281k.thumb.jpg.fe00d32422989262b3066b9000ec3c96.jpg

DSCF2285k.thumb.jpg.f99957b671d4c50a5bd6784e2ce61114.jpg

Then I only need to show the end result. The micrometer head can be mounted in 2 positions. Straight for milling and at 90° for drilling.

DSCF2287k.thumb.jpg.deba246bd51ce088b3896e30cec276c0.jpg

DSCF2286k.thumb.jpg.67f080c86c3d8c01b24e0e1226890a8b.jpg

For milling I remove the handle and after a depth adjustment you always need to lock the set screw of the dovetail again.

I hope anyone in need of fine milling and owner of a proxxon MB200 can find some inspiration here.

Best regards,

Kris Avonts

Nice adaptation, Kris. Far more elegant than my own modification of the cheaper Proxxon MB140 stand. How accurate is the vertical feed on this stand? My stand had something like a 1 degree inaccuracy which I had to compensate for with shims.

Tony

Hi Tony,

The micrometer shows no play nor backlash, so it should be precise up to 0.01 mm.

I paid much attention to mounting the support very level both horizontal and vertical.

In order to make the fit between the proxxon body and the support almost perfect, I filed the

rounding by hand. But that was not perfect, a little tilting was still possible.

So I decided to use some metal epoxy glue on the edges of the support and stretched some plastic kitchen foil over the proxxon top.

After positioning the support on the plastic, I checked with a level tool and let the glue harden overnight.

That resulted in an almost perfect fit without play.

I still have to test its actual precision.

As you might know 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'.

Kris

It was the fit between the rotating head and the body that was out in my case, in addition to the fact that the support in these Proxxon stands is a bit flimsy. I'd be intrigued to know how accurate the MF70 mill is in terms of verticality, feed and consistency. At the moment I get by with the modifications I've made but I keep wondering whether it would be worth the expense to buy the MF70.

Tony