Deck items

Hello all. I hope everyone is staying safe. Thank goodness I have my hobby to pass the time and remain indoors. 

This is from a photo of the C. W. Morgan. I am trying to find out what the deck item next to the Tryworks is called and what it was used for. It has a rusty "T" shape metal fitting on top. It appears that it could have been an anvil but I am not certain.

Best wishes to all,

Thank you

Bob

Melville-trip-etc-037.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 1.52.43 PM.png

I agree. It looks just like an anvil. But I'm surprised it doesn't have a horn, as that would allow more flexible working of metal. Perhaps it only has a limited number of uses on shipboard.

Steven

The harpoons needed tending to.  Not needing the level and type of work usually done by a blacksmith a smaller anvil would do.  The coopering needed to assemble the barrels to hold the oil was also a function.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Good point, Jaager. I note it also has a hardy hole for holding auxiliary tools, and the wooden "stump" has iron reinforcing rings to stop it from splitting under the force of the hammer - a good solution for something that small a diameter. Interesting - there's a "main" stump that is massive and heavy, providing lots of nice inertia, and above it (it looks to cut out of the main stump, not an addition) the smaller diameter stump. It seems to me there would be a reason for doing it that way. Perhaps there needed to be room around the stump for things that went over the edge of the anvil - perhaps the reinforcing hoops for the oil barrels?. The 'main stump' also has a ring in it, perhaps so it could be hoisted easily.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Hello all! Thank you so much for all of your replies. After reading your assessments, I feel more confident that it is some king of "anvil" for all of the reasons you provided. I think I am going to scratch build it as accurately as I can and add it to  the deck components on my Morgan. It will certainly be a good conversation starter. 

Hope everyone is well and staying safe.

Best regards, 

Bob Meli