Removing Bulwarks Before Planking Deck

I have read in several books and on-line articles about removing bulwarks before placing and planking the deck on wooden kits. Seems reasonable on a single deck ship but when your building a ship model with multiple decks I get concerned. For instance; on my Santa Maria plank on bulkhead ship, the bulkheads for the bow and stern run from the keel all the way up. My concern is if I removed the bulwarks from the main deck up, wouldn't that weaken the part of the ship on the upper decks? What would I use to reattach the cut bulwarks so they will be strong enough? Cyano-glue or wood glue? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Acaron41120 - Santa Maria- Billing Boats

Edited by acaron41120

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

Acoarond I am certainly not an expert on traditional building methods but this just sounds counter intuitive. I think I understand the reasoning owing to the fact that it is very difficult to lay up decking and waterways for a fully framed hull or even a plank on bulkhead version would be a feat. Also given that most vessels were planked inboard why would one go to the trouble when it is all going to be hidden. Not to mention trying to recreate the form of the hull above decks afterwards.

Joe

Joe. From what I've read installing the deck first allows a builder to get a true shape of the hull when planking. Start from the main deck etc. And it also makes it easier to lay the margin planks when planking the deck. Which is all well and good for a single deck ship. But then you have to cut the bulkhead at each deck level? Like you said that seems counterintuitive.

On three of my first models (Marie Jeanne, Bluenose and Bluenose 2) I didn't remove any bulwarks above the deck and there was only a small difference in height with the Bluenoses. Planking the deck was done from the King plank in the center outward to the sides. I used a template made from cardboard to fit the planks by the bulwarks. I may just continue that method. Not at that point at the moment. My stem post, keel and stern post are glued up and drying. I'll start installing the bulkheads tomorrow. Just getting ready for that next step.

Edited by acaron41120

Allen

Acaron, I think they are only referring to the bulkheads on an exposed deck. I built the Royal Louis years ago, POB, and the only bulkheads I removed were the ones exposed on the main deck. The bulkheads under the fore castle and quarter deck were left as is as they are not seen. Hope this helps. 

Current build: Model Shipways “Confederacy “

Completed builds:

Mamoli “Royal Louis“

Mantua “Royal Caroline”

Scratch 1/4 scale gondola “Philadelphia”

Scratch “Hannah” from Hahn plans. 

Unless it will be visible, why would you want to remove an element that adds structural strength to the model at the risk of collatoral damage. It is also good to reflect on 'advise' given in books and other sources: why do they say so and would this advice be applicable to my circumstances ? We are not in the age of the Guilds anymore, so you can do what you think is best - of course considering the technological experience other may have.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Wefalck and all. Thanks for your comments. That is why i became a member here. I get to talk it over with other modelers and get that valuable feedback.

Allen