I am just starting the Billing Boats "Santa Maria." It is a 3-piece keel (stem post, keel and stern post) and where the stem post curves forward near the top, there are two holes that will be seen when the model is built. These holes were not made by a previous builder as I am the first one to build the kit. These holes look to be there since the kit was made at the factory. They are about the size of one of those large staples in heavy cardboard boxes. The plans don't show these holes so what are they used for? I thought they might be for the ropes securing the bowsprit to the stem post but neither the plans nor instructions say what to do about them? Should I fill them in or add a veneer or that part of the stem post? As soon as I figure out what to use for posting photos I'll post some photos! Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Allen C

Edited by acaron41120
Posted incorrect ship name. I'm starting the Santa Maria, not the Mayflower which is the next in the hopper.

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

If I read this right, one could possibly be for the bumpkin shrouds and the other for the mainstay collar. A picture would help.

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

Unless I am mistaken, Mayflower was built in a period prior to the use of bobstays for the bowsprit so those holes could be for the fore sail tacks which were often taken through holes in the stem before leading aboard on the opposite side.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

I have taken a couple of pictures with my cell phone and will try to post them later tonight. My hope is that this site will post photos from a cell phone and saved in a file on an Apple computer.

Allen

Good Afternoon Allan;

I would have agreed with Henry's post above, if you had not posted the picture. Certainly neither bumkins nor bobstays would be used for the Mayflower, as both came into use later. 

Your idea of staple holes is probably correct. It could be that several pieces of ply are fastened together temporarily to ensure that they all are worked to the same profile. The only other possible use I can think of is as holes to fasten filler blocks to receive the ends of the planks. But there is normally no need to fasten these through the stem. 

I do not think that these serve any construction related purpose.

All the best,

Mark P

Edited by Mark P
planks, not plans!

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Thanks for the info. Also I've edited the original post stating I'm building the "Mayflower." I'm actually building the Santa Maria. Mark you said "Certainly neither bumkins nor bobstays would be used for the Mayflower, as both came into use later." I agree and your comment certain fits as the Santa Maria came way before the Mayflower. Thanks again for your help.

Allen