I am starting my first ever build, an Amati 1:50 Drakkar. I was planning to start a build log and ask questions there, but maybe this stands alone as a point of general interest.

In looking at my kit, the starboard side planking has what could be interpreted as a manufacturing defect. I think the photos below will show it. When I run my figure over that obvious line I can feel a slight depression along the length of it. The wood is 0.6mm thick.

Is this normal looking, should I be concerned about it? Since it's my first kit I have no real point of reference.

Thanks.

- Nelson

RX605393_1600px.jpg

RX605395_1600px.jpg

Yep, that is definitely a defect in the sheet. You can contact Amati to see about getting a replacement sheet. But first, I would study the plans and instructions carefully to ascertain whether the defect will even be visible on the finished model. I'm guessing, based on the laser char, that we're looking at the back side of the sheet, meaning this side will face in on the finished model and may be partly covered by other parts. You will probably  also paint or stain the interior, which will further obscure the defect and may even raise the grain a bit in the affected area. In the final analysis, you have to decide whether the problem is severe enough to warrant the delay in obtaining a new sheet.

Good luck!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thanks much Chris. Of course you are correct and that was the backside. But the line is also visible on the front.but not as much of a depression. See photo:

RX605397_1024px.jpg.a5d13893453e22973a79f4e76f5bc5b8.jpg

I'll probably contact Amati just to see how that goes.

But I could chalk it up to damage from a sea battle with those pesky Saxons.

- Nelson

1 hour ago, Balclutha75 said:

I am starting my first ever build, an Amati.  I'm looking at my kit, the starboard side planking has what could be interpreted as a manufacturing defect.

An Amati kit with a defect?   This is my shocked face.  :omg:

Seriously though, you should be able to repair with a touch of sandpaper.  Hopefully you will be painting the hull.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I contacted Amati out of curiousity, I'll see what happens.

3 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

Seriously though, you should be able to repair with a touch of sandpaper.  Hopefully you will be painting the hull.

Thanks Chuck. Hopefully the repair will be successful. I was considering a darkish oak stain.

I was a bit concerned about structural issues when bending the planks, since the board is thinner there. No doubt the kit will suffer far worse indignities at my hand before it's done.

- Nelson