Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Colorado, USA
  • Interests
    Hiking, Photography, Travel, Cooking, Reading Historical Non-fiction

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. The shrouds are in place. For a while I wasn't sure how to proceed, but finally I just proceeded and am most satisfied with the result. I've seen numerous ways that blocks and lanyards are done on Viking ship models and reconstructions. I settled on using the H-shaped blocks included with the kit, ran lanyards through that, and up to a closed heart in an eye on the shroud. It looks reasonably nautical though to what extent Viking I'm not sure. Debating on whether I should stain the shrouds brown like the lanyards, but at present holding off. They seem prett
  2. Just started reading this fascinating build. Steven, if you don't mind a newbie question, early on, like posts #13 and #21 for example, what kind of tools are you using to shape these frames. Apologize if this is discussed elsewhere in the log. I'll eventually get there Thanks..
  3. They look OK to me. The dashed lines for the panels, I guess they'd be called, did you just do those with an ink pen? More work to follow? Thanks.
  4. Bummer for sure. Good luck with the healing process. Look forward to seeing you back up in the rigging. Take care.
  5. In fact barrels was a specific question of mine as well. I hope my above post came across in the lighthearted manner intended, sometimes that gets lost. I'll do some research into this as well, but I look forward to see what you come up with. On Ebay I found a collection of Artitec "old-style ship's cargo" and was wondering if I can use any of it. https://www.artitecshop.com/en/old-style-ships-cargo.html Thanks Steven for your always helpful information.
  6. I have no idea, but I've been wondering about this, so thanks for asking. However, historical accuracy is not too important to me at this stage. Let me know if I have to stand in the time out corner for saying that.
  7. I've sailed into the doldrums a bit with the rigging. Even though I worked for The San Francisco Maritime Museum and had other jobs in my youth where I did big-boy rigging, this small scale stuff is another world, very challenging. But yesterday I did go ahead and add the additional knees I mentioned above. I took Cathead's comment to heart about more frames in that area looking out of place, and decided to add two more knees on each side as a kind of balance. Even if they don't really belong there I think t works OK. It's all crude workmanship, which is my style I guess 🙂, but it'
  8. Interesting idea to construct laminated shroud pins like that. They came out quite nice looking, and should look great in the rigging. So far I'm still using the flying cleats that came with the kit.
  9. Thanks Eric, I thought of that and decided once the shrouds were attached then it would be obvious why they were there, and perhaps even "make sense". Anyway I'm forging ahead with that plan so far. In drilling the hole I had bits that went from 1 mm to 1.5 mm in one step. Making that big step caused the plywood from the kit to crack, so I've just ordered a bit set from Otto Frei that includes almost each size by 0.1 mm increments from 0.6 to 2.3 mm.
  10. I've got the mast and yard shaped to my satisfaction, and am ready to start on the four shrouds. When gluing the hull the Amati instructions said "Make holes for shrouds, too". These would be in the upper strake located behind the shield rack. I didn't like that at the time and still don't since you'd have a rope tied around the gunwale. In some online searching I found these photos of the Saga Oseberg reproduction. One can see where they used the frames to anchor the shrouds, with what looks like a combination of holes in the frames and perhaps an iron ring (?).
  11. Well,I don't feel qualified to offer feedback, constructive or otherwise, but think this is a fascinating method to make a sail. Probably not something I'll try yet, but it's looking nice!
  12. Really nice. So you masked and painted the sail and the paint didn't bleed under the tape? Is there a magic Norse spell required to accomplish that? I'll be crossing this bridge one of these weeks and have been debating on painted stripes, sewn panels of different colors, or simply a solid color. Thanks.
  13. Yesterday my wife and I were was helping a neighbor and she loaned me a 1972 National Geographic book titles "The Vikings". This drawing is on the book's title page. It shows an awkwardly stored shield. This is not so much to give you any ideas, but here's a quote from the books' foreword which might be of interest: The Society’s tradition of telling a story with pictures has resulted in a remarkable set of illustrations for this book, both photographs and paintings. Much labor has gone into the effort to recapture Viking Age scenes. In many cases source ma
  14. Looks superb! As a kid I had a crazy fantasy to go down in Cousteau's saucer. Such a cool looking little craft. Your photo of it on the crane is iconic.
  15. That looks correct End Of The Line, guess I'll keep my rigged block, or maybe an iron ring. If you don't mind I'd like to use your idea for the rudder in this post. I think I can cobble that up and agree looks better than the kit part.
  • Create New...