SAN MARTIN GALLEON FLAGS, ENSIGNS and JACKS

Hi all,

I have been trying to uncover which flags, ensigns or jacks the Spanish Galleon "San Martin" flew in the late 16th century. Flags came with the kit, but I don't think they are correct. I have read that on the main mast the Papal Jack was flown. I have also read that the Spanish Ensign was flown from the mizzen mast. Agter some research it appears that the flags that came with the kit are wrong, and do not have a Papal jack or flag at all.

So I am look for naval flags, ensigns or jacks flown by the Spanish, on galleons in the late 16th century.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. 

Bill

Bill,

Have look here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Spanish_flags   I briefly looked that the page and it appears all the Spanish flags are there and there's a lot of them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes I have seen this page. And that's when I noticed the flags provided in the kit did not match any of the flags shown. I think the flag that has a white background and crossed red branches apply. I did a screen capture of that flag. But San Martin was the lead galleon and I'm sure either flags or banners would be different from the rest of the fleet.

Thanks as always for your input.

Bill

If it was an admiral's ship, wouldn't it have an "admiral" flag? 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well when I was in the US Navy (1968 - 1988) the admiral flags was only flown in-port. At sea it was a banner I believe. But I could be wrong about the banner.

My time in the Navy was spent beliw decks in the engineroom, so flags and banners were never my strong suit. Hahaha.

Bill

Maybe it's a pendent then?  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: