Build the masts and rigging on a dummy deck first?

Hello all,

Just recently joined this excellent ModelShipWorld website and have a 'beginner's question'.

I'm about to start the masts and rigging on my Dallas 1815 Cutter (my first build) and I recall reading somewhere that it can be a good idea to make a dummy deck first.

The idea being to put the masts on the dummy deck  (plank of wood)  and do all the rigging etc on it, and then transfer the lot to the real deck. That would prevent accidental damage to fittings etc on the real deck whilst I fumbled about with rigging.

Or should I just 'get on with it' and put the masts straight into the real deck and do the rigging there? 

Any thoughts?

Regards and thanks,

Richard

I would do (most of) the standing rigging in situ unless you are 100% sure that you can make a mock-up that has exactly the correct dimensions. This doesn't mean that certain operations could not be done on a jig after you marked off the precise lengths in situ. I am thinking of bindings or servings and operations such as that.

However, it could be of advantage to prepare yards with their various fittings on a separate jig because it is easier to do this in a comfortable position on the worktable.

Some people also prepare whole masts on the worktable and then transfer them to the model. This implies that the turning in of the deadeyes has to be done at that stage and also the ratlines can only be put in after the mast complete with the other rigging has been installed.

On the bottom line the decision on which strategy of mixture of strategies to use will depend on the complexity of the rig.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Wefalck,

Good reply, thanks.

The Dallas only has two masts and no sails but I see 'complexity' from a beginner's perspective.

I've already made a dummy deck with a 1:1 photocopy of the deck plan glued to it. And the two mast holes (centres measured using Vernier calipers) are drilled in the dummy deck (at the correct angle) and the masts pushed in there.

I may start doing the mast and rigging work on the dummy deck and get a 'feel' for the complexity and, if confident, then transfer it to the real deck part of the way through the exercise.

Thanks again for your input,

Best regards,

Richard