US Army K51 Radio Truck + K52 Trailer by Rik Thistle - MiniArt - 1:35 - 1944/45

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

This is my build of the Chevrolet based K51 radio truck model made by MiniArt .... https://miniart-models.com/product/35418-us-army-k-51-radio-truck-with-k-52-trailer-interior-kit/

The blurb on the MiniArt radio truck page says...   "HIGHLY DETAILED PLASTIC MODEL KIT,  PHOTO-ETCHED PARTS INCLUDED, CLEAR PLASTIC PARTS INCLUDED,DECAL SHEET FOR 5 OPTIONS, K-52 TRAILER WITH POWER UNIT PE-95 ARE INCLUDED,RADIO SET SCR-299 INCLUDED, DOORS CAN BE ASSEMBLED IN OPEN OR CLOSED POSITION, HIGHLY DETAILED ENGINE COMPARTMENT, TRANSMISSION, BRAKE, STEERING SYSTEMS ,HIGHLY DETAILED PLASTIC MODEL KIT"... OK, fine 😉

Reliable radio communication was arguably the most important technology used in WWII. And, as usual with war technologies, the science was forced to move forwards quickly.

First a couple of pics of the box art.  Below is the truck plus it's generator trailer.

radio2.thumb.jpg.be24707de1a625cd0ebae726c12dd1cc.jpg

There were a number of countries using the radio truck.

radio4.thumb.jpg.d6a3500f64d980e99d299ea67101345b.jpg

Those countries were....  British Forces Radio Station, 8th army sector, Italy, October 1944,  Corps Signals Unit, 2nd Polish Corps, Italy 1944/1945,  1st Armored Division, 829th Signal Battalion, North Africa, Spring, 1943,  102nd Infantry Division, ETO, Autumn 1944, US Marine Corps, 4th Marine Division, Pacific, 1944/1945.

Below, the large stack of parts that make up the model.

radio5.thumb.jpg.133155923ab525680058c611355745f5.jpg

Finally, a couple of pages from the rather thick manual. The red box on the second page indicates the meaningful part of the mobile unit, the radio equipments.

radio7.thumb.jpg.b53cd76d739e404eca87130c53af8513.jpg

I'm off now to do a lot more reading up on war comms and how and where the K51 was used.

Back soon'ish.

Richard

Edited by Rik Thistle

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

A (very) brief update follows - I've been working on other things for the past week but am trying to keep to a one-post-per-week schedule on the Radio Truck.

The vehicle frame is the first part described in the instructions. It is made of many small parts and alignment is done mainly by eye. Some of the parts are not quite as accurately made as, say, Tamiya ones but will no doubt lead to something that does look like the K51 Truck 🙂

Below, the basic parts that form the structure of the fame are removed from the sprue and filed smooth.

radio1.thumb.jpg.f03e9ba5617d99ae23faac11bdcb573c.jpg

The kit also comes with a photo-etch sprue. I haven't use PE before so was on a learning curve. I used CA glue to attach the PE parts. Below is the plastic former that part PE1 (x2) is shaped on.

radio2.thumb.jpg.f7c5867679fd8f901b83bfdf03aade03.jpg

A close up of the former in action.

radio4.thumb.jpg.90f4cd66a72eda8ef29cd9101c9a70a2.jpg

Finally, on to the axles.

radio5.thumb.jpg.590353800d6409e2a9bb7e0b5085c54c.jpg

I should make a bit more progress for the next post ...it feels like I have hardly moved forward at all in this post 😉

Anyway, some more info on the radio Transmitter and Receiver from Wiki etc....  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCR-299

"The SCR-299 was a U.S. Signal Corps mobile military communications unit used during World War II.  The SCR-299 "mobile communications unit" was developed to provide long-range communications during World War II.  The US Military sought improvements of range, flexibility and durability over its existing SCR-197 and SCR-597 transmitters.  In 1942, Hallicrafters Standard HT-4 was selected as the SCR-299's transmitter, known subsequently by its military designation as the BC-610. "

There are a couple of good B&W videos of Hallicrafters ruggedising their SCR-299 Transmitter for military use .. The Voice of Victory Part I   https://archive.org/details/VoiceofV1944  - Part II here  https://archive.org/details/VoiceofV1944_2

Below, the Transmitters being assembled on the production line.

image.png.921286812bb47d6b1cf18c6b3925b776.png

The Receivers were BC-312's ...more here....http://www.armyradio.ch/radio-e/us-bc312-e.htm  

"The receiver BC-312 has been built by several contractors in the U.S. for the US Signal Corps in World War II and has been used as receiver in several wireless stations. The Swiss Army used this receiver in their Funkstation SE-402 / SM 46, an American SCR-499/A bought as war surplus."

image.jpeg.df67492e533299aa0183d608f66c18ad.jpeg

The 3rd part of the radio system and, arguably, the most important are the transmit and receive antennas...more in a later post.

A screen grab from 'The Voice of Victory Part II' showing how the radio truck  took messages from General HQ and transmitted that info to the battlefield, and then received information back from the soldiers in the field.

image.png.79f2e8b4b91b10b4d4ec4bc10dc874a2.png

Having watched the short 'Voice of Victory' videos it is really quite amazing that commercial equipment could be  sufficiently ruggedised to allow it to be carried in the back of a truck across battlefields. Although the glass radio valves were now firmly held by clips, and the electrical modules held in retaining slots, it was still quite an achievement.

More soon,

Richard

image.png

Edited by Rik Thistle

• 2 weeks later...

I'll follow along too please Rick. Interested to see what the mini art kit is like and your thoughts. They have a few models that have caught my eye but I've never tried one. 

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Airfix Westland Sea King HU.5 1/48

Microaces Scrappee Liaison Radio Controlled

Occre Polaris 1/50

Hong Kong Models 1/32 B25 J Mitchell

Completed 

Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc 1/24

Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (SPECIAL) 'THE DAMBUSTERS' 1/72 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

In the hangar, dockyard or factory 

Airfix Fairey Gannet AS.1/AS.4 1/48, Airfix North American P-51D, Mustang 1/48, Airfix Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV 1/48, Airfix MGB 1/32, ICM Gloster Gladiator 1/32, 5 Airfix Tanks, Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 C/D 1/48, Artesania Latina Zuiderzee Botter 1912 1/50, Airfix WWII British Army 30-cwt 4x2 GS Truck 1/35

Hi James,

This is my 3rd 1/35 scale vehicle...the other two were Tamiya. There are an awful lot of small, fiddly parts in this kit, with a fair bit of flash and ejector pin remnants on a lot of those parts. Also, the part to part location spots are a bit indistinct at times.

However, I find the subject matter interesting and important - that's mainly why I chose it.

Building up the chassis is taking a while...a bit longer than I had anticipated. And then there will be the 'when to paint' question ie paint sub-assembllies or wait till the whole model is finished..... I'll probably go with sub-assemblies.

I might (...very small might) add some interior LED type lighting) but will likely position the truck in a scenario eg top of a small rise for better radio coverage. But I'm a long ways from all that at the moment.

And Spring has arrived, the grass needs cutting, the garden shed/workshop has been re-roofed. etc..so a number of other 'attractions' are vying for attention.

Thanks for dropping in 🙂

Richard

To help make better bends etc in the PhotoEtch that was supplied with the kit, I have bought a small bending tool from Amazon .... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DNT298P?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details  .....  the price seems to have gone up a bit since I bought it, IIRC.

PEtool2.thumb.jpg.2a386ea7ef8c887a7809c26cbcdb9df4.jpg

It is made of metal and seems reasonably well made. Brief usage instructions are printed on the underside of the box.

Richard

Good purchase. Getting those 90 degree bends is easier with this tool. You may want to scrounge some short lengths of  dowels/tubing to use as mandrels for your curved railings amd other rounded metal pieces. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Posted (edited)

After many years messing around with photo etch parts, these two tools from Tamiya are by far the most often ones used from my tool chest to bend photo etch parts:

Amazon.com: TAMIYA America, Inc Bending Pliers-Photo Etched Parts, TAM74067 : Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Amazon.com: TAMIYA America, Inc Mini Bending Pliers for PE Part, TAM74084 : Arts, Crafts & Sewing

The small set being the most frequently used and the large set second most. These particular tools might be found elsewhere for less cost, I just used these links with photos to show exactly the tools spoken of. 

When you have long photo etch pieces to bend, longer than the largest Tamiya set can handle, then I use a tool similar to the one you own, only it's larger/longer than yours. I've seen other modelers simply use a metal ruler and single edge razor blade to bend photo etch as well. That's the low-cost economy model right there.

You are right, the prices on these items have gone up since I bought them last. 🙂

PS: If you can find a 12" x 12" or similar size piece of black acrylic sheet, it's perfectly flat and a huge help when cutting or bending photo etch. The black background makes it much easier to see what you're doing, particularly when cutting photo etch from the frets.

Edited by CDW

17 minutes ago, CDW said:

PS: If you can find a 12" x 12" or similar size piece of black acrylic sheet, it's perfectly flat and a huge help when cutting or bending photo etch. The black background makes it much easier to see what you're doing, particularly when cutting photo etch from the frets.

Unless you are silly enough to use black primer on the fret first! Just did that. I now have a scrap piece of clear acrylic used with a sheet of white paper for future silliness. The black acrylic square is a great base for cutting PE and I use a similar bending tool. I find it easier to line up the folds exactly. I have the pliers but on my set the jaws don’t line up perfectly. Not sure if that’s my fault. I think we all develop our preferences for handling PE. I have the former for circular bending which works well with a selection of drill bits.

Alan

17 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Unless you are silly enough to use black primer on the fret first! Just did that. I now have a scrap piece of clear acrylic used with a sheet of white paper for future silliness. The black acrylic square is a great base for cutting PE and I use a similar bending tool. I find it easier to line up the folds exactly. I have the pliers but on my set the jaws don’t line up perfectly. Not sure if that’s my fault. I think we all develop our preferences for handling PE. I have the former for circular bending which works well with a selection of drill bits.

Alan

Get a bottle of Mr. Metal Primer. It's clear, self-leveling, dries quickly and can be brushed on photo etch. A bottle of it will seem to last forever. I've used the same bottle for 10 years and it's still half full.

Ken, CDW, Alan,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm slowly finding my way in the Plastic modelling world...so had started PE bending by using small, needle nose pliers with smooth inside faces, straight pieces of metal etc. But these PE parts are so small, compared to what I'm used to I ended up with bend lines that I am not completely happy with.

I had had an earlier look at the two pliers you linked to CDW (...maybe I had seen them being used in one of your builds?) and almost pressed the Buy button but ended up, for whatever reason, going with the Bending Tool.  I'll let you know/see how I get on.

As for the K51 build, I'm distracted by other things at the moment but am trying to slowly trudge my way though the chassis/frame build. I think once I get through that section my posts will become more regular again.

Thanks again,

Richard

That looks almost identical to the Hold and Fold tool produced by The Small Shop. The owners retired end of 2023 and closed up shop but some may be available on FleaBay. They also sold an 8×10 inch black plexiglass sheet.  I used them a lot when I build my 1:350 plastic ships with add-on PE.

The Bug (smallest of the set) 

IMG_2024-04-11-14-13-52-366.thumb.jpg.26c2a3c02e9aece34b7fe6e136d38aa2.jpgIMG_2024-04-11-14-13-06-491.thumb.jpg.1360bf0d08e5dc3171aeb659bd02dbbc.jpg

The mid sized 5.5 inch

IMG_2024-04-11-14-14-46-623.thumb.jpg.766115198a3949fc4719d6a0085311b7.jpgIMG_2024-04-11-14-15-11-740.thumb.jpg.8abd822b8eefead34c07302dea9c1189.jpg

I have the Bug and the plate with the aluminum rods for bending curved pieces... (forgot what they called it)

Just did a search of their vendors and most have little stock left and eBay has nothing listed in the US... The UK has a few available, but the prices are going thru the roof... The hardest one to get today is the 8" version, good for folding those long tank fenders but the price is over 100.00, there is one shop that still carries their long (4" + 8") blades for the larger hold & folds.... They won';t last long...

It's a shame, they were the original, everyone else is a copy or a ripoff... A must have if you do a lot of PE....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Posted (edited)

Jack,

"...looks almost identical to the Hold and Fold tool produced by The Small Shop."

It does. There seems to be a lot of look-alikes about. Did the Small Shop come up with original layout? If so, apologies to them for sending my money East.

Richard

Edit: Just read Egilman's post above..

Edited by Rik Thistle

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Rik Thistle said:

Did the Small Shop come up with original layout?

Yes they did.  

They announced awhile back that they intended to retire the end of 2023 and were not selling the business or their patents. Shame because they had a reasonable low price for a quality product and delivery in US was very quick. Can't speak for Canada or UK delivery. 

Update : I just checked Their site , it appears they might be reincarnated soon. See banner at top of their web page. Bookmark it if you want. 

Edited by Jack12477

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Rik Thistle said:

looks like the Small Shop has a UK distributor

Yep , that's the tool, 2nd one in from left is The Bug, one on left is the Mini. Prices, even in British pounds, is close to what they cost in US. ($36 vs £37, close enough)

Edited by Jack12477

Another maker/retailer of these kinds of tools is UMM-USA https://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=67a8726df77727687a7e33be11c6ecf1

That link takes you to their tool pages. The folding tools are mid page.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback...appreciated as always.

Another short update, whilst the garden etc currently dominates my time 🙂

Most of the following pics are related to the frame and the engine. Plus adding some Photo Etch.

chassis4.thumb.jpg.9cd41a2e5c021cdb90fa91b33d27bdfd.jpg

I was still using my flat pliers, rather than the new PE bending tool mentioned earlier.

chassis10.thumb.jpg.5dc66c33d0cd3999ca6bf6801b9e0e17.jpg

The engine block starts to get assembled

chassis12.thumb.jpg.e6d16005425177fbfb47d39a805626b1.jpg

And some parts being added to the block.

chassis22.thumb.jpg.613dcfeb85c51b5fd016f68d9d685ab3.jpg

Three of the sprues included in the kit...there are about x25 more sprues still to be used. This kit is way more detailed than I had imagined.

chassis24.thumb.jpg.beab588a8e2946f5cc08da3279bf8859.jpg

A final close up of the finished engine, soon to be fitted to the chassis, then all the services, exhaust pipes etc.

chassis26.thumb.jpg.842113275adb3e47b8edf57657e62c95.jpg

Sorry this is so short, but best I post something now or I will never be able to recollect what I was up to last time I posted.

Once I get through the chassis build I should start to be adding some panel work etc.

All for now,

Richard

CDW,

Thanks for that.

It sure has a lot of detail...way more than I'd expected.

I had hoped that I could have completed the kit in roughly the same timescale as the Churchill tank or Archer SPG, but I suspect it will take much longer than that ...I just hope I have the attention span to stay the course 😉

As an aside I don't have a spray gun...brushes only...and that wasn't too big an issue with the Churchill/Archer since there were no really large panels, and the tank/SPG were covered in mud (to some degree) anyway.

But we'll get there....he says 🙂

Regards,

Richard

Rik, that is an absolutely gorgeous engine, beautiful job... But I have a question that needs to be asked....

What civilian truck are you going to put it in?

In a WWII military truck, everything is green, Olive Drab specifically, there are some peripheral details that are black or metal color, but they for the most part are buried in the overall OD Green...

Being historically accurate that is...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

5 hours ago, Rik Thistle said:

I just hope I have the attention span to stay the course

Of course you do brother, you build fine machinery out of metal, A plastic kit is a piece of cake... {chuckle}

Quote:

Egilman,

The truck was based on a Chevrolet ....  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_G506

I don't have my notes at hand (...on a laptop at the moment) but that Chevy truck was appaently used (very successfully) in WWII in a lot of different permutations.  There is also a generator trailer in the kit...that is a project in it's own right!  And then there is the radio operator (squeezed inside the truck), and driver to make. I have a kit of British figures that might do ... the Brits did operate the K51. So plenty to yet plan for.

Yes, just about everything will be drab Olive, apart from where there are small oil/grease leaks eg engine, prop shafts etc...and mud, dust and the like.

Thanks,

Richard

Yep it's a member of the G506 family of Chevrolet 1.5 ton trucks.... It's specific designation was the G7105 K51 Panel Van (Radio) They made thousands of them but only a few hundred radio trucks... Mostly they were bomb or dump trucks....

Lots of variations to the line, it was a very successful medium duty truck....

Plain Panel Van....

G7107 Dump Truck & G7106 Cable service truck...

And another... (don't know what specific model...

Many many different flavors of the G506 family of trucks....

Quote: