Hello Sheerline,

Look at the drawing on page 77 of Longridge's The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships which is about building a POB of Victory.  It is very clear on how the wale strakes end at the stern.  Another very clear drawing on how the strakes end at the counter is on page 17 of volume II of TFFM.   Franklin's Navy Board Ship Models has numerous photos of contemporary models some of which are relatively clear showing the same construction of the end of the wales.  You can see something similar in planking expansion drawings such as the one for Squirrel (1785) on the NMM Collections website.     https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/83495.html 

As a side note, I believe the lower wale on Victory actually had four strakes of anchor stock planks.  Probably just a kit error that you can fix if you wish.   Even so, it does not wrap around as you correctly surmised. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thank you so much for this information Allan. It's a long standing first build but I'm keen to get it right. I'm sure that each kit is slightly different but the instructions on this one can be a bit vague and I think assumes previous knowledge..

I'm learning lots in the process though! I do have a build log  on the go should you care to look.

Thanks again.😀