How do you furl a jib?

There seem to be several ways of doing this: stowing it on top the bowsprit etc., much like square sails are stowed on top of a yard, with or without gaskets; or sort of turning it around itself after unhitching the sheets, then hooking the halliard into the clew and hitching the sheets back on - so that it is suspended like a sausage in the air:

230998-72.JPG

wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thank you for your reply, Wefalck. I am working on my first build and am adding sails just for the experience of doing so and my wife likes the way it looks on the model. I furled a square sail, but found the jib to be too bulky. Your pictured example is very nice. I'm enclosing two pictures of my work, but please keep in mind that this an amateurish first attempt.post-936-0-99386200-1370823764_thumb.jpgpost-936-0-40993900-1370823930_thumb.jpg  

Bill

Finished builds: Albatros by OcCre 1:100 Badger by Caldercraft

current build: Royal Louis

Bill,

If you'll go here: http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-rigging-and-sails.php there's an article on making sails.  He talks about materials to use and also how to furl them.   Even though it's basically for a square-rigs, the same principle applies to yours.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply and your help. There is so much information on the link you sent me that I may spend some time checking it out so I am thanking you in advance of reading it all. I have been studying so much in advance of actually building a model and during the build that the fun just keeps on coming! I really like your quote. "Wish I'd said that". 

Bill

Bill

As the material used for sails on models usually is way over-scale, perhaps by one order of magnitude, furled sails inevitably look to bulky. Some people, therefore, make the sails smaller than they should be, resulting in less volume, when stowed. Other people use paper for the sails. And again, other people use papier-maché for furled sails. This depends on the style of the model.

wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thanks for that information. I can visualize paper sails. I have learned so much working on this model. It's almost like each step of the process from planking to rigging is a separate adventure and then I step back and see the big picture which is the model itself. It's a wonderful process. I appreciate your help. 

Bill