Linen #874 & #870

There is a reference in the Ronnberg book "To Build a Whaleboat" to using #874 and #870 linen for the harpoon and lance rope mountings. I've searched the web and this site for what I assume is a thread size but can't find any cross reference to those numbers. The Syren .025" is close enough for me but I'd like to be able to reference a chart or source for the future.

WB-small_235.jpg.f6328ebd87b129dfa9a034eeb5a49e31.jpg

I'd appreciate any help.

Mike

Hello Mike,

I think this fits the description ...

https://www.linladan.com/products/the-flax-flower-hemstitch-yarn?variant=21884453748841

... for the 874 but no sign of the 870. 

HTH

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hi Bruce ... as it turns out the numbers must be referring to a Model Shipways number system. I went pouring back over the Ronnberg book and in the sail section it refers (only once) to "Model Shipways #871 linen". Thank you for the effort you put into the search and I apologize for the false start. I also found a reference to a color swatch 870 from Getermann after my first post so yours find made sense as to color. In any case  I'll call MSW on Monday to find out the actual specification.

Thank you again, Mike

Always looking for problems solved by others :) before I come to them in my build.

Good luck and maybe you could ask if the numbers relate to some linen industry standard? That seems to be the case but I'm guessing.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

8 hours ago, Mike_In_RI said:

There is a reference in the Ronnberg book "To Build a Whaleboat" to using #874 and #870 linen for the harpoon and lance rope mountings. I've searched the web and this site for what I assume is a thread size but can't find any cross reference to those numbers. The Syren .025" is close enough for me but I'd like to be able to reference a chart or source for the future.

WB-small_235.jpg.f6328ebd87b129dfa9a034eeb5a49e31.jpg

I'd appreciate any help.

Mike

Hello! I have the old colour charts and can find the colour for #870 tomorrow. Mail any info you like to webshop mentioned above! Have a large collection that’s not online. Best from Bristol! (Swedish collector here) 

I just jotted and email with that question to Model Expo with my fingers crossed. With the thread that came with my kit there are no MSW part numbers on the paper spools. The Roonberg build manual is from 1985 so I'm hoping it's (an available) older standard as you suggest.

'Just checked out your build log. Congrats on getting going on the Mediator. I'll watch along if you don't mind.

Thanks again for the help. Mike