Looking for book/resource for condensed "Visual History" of ships/boats

Please excuse the amazon link but it is to a book I own that has a condensed visual history of the automobile: Car: The Definitive Visual History You can click on the "Look inside" to see its simple visual format.

I would like to find something similar for ships/boats, either a book or online resource. I realize ships have been around so much longer and across lots of cultures and epochs so having a condensed history would be very crude but I'm just trying to get a rough top level view that I can then drill down further. In fact I would be fine for now with one that just focused on the Western Civilizations ranging from middle ages to mid 20th century.

User: Havelock

Build Logs -> Current: Taurus-MS-1:64  -> Completed: Polaris-OcCre-1:50

Stash:  18th Century Longboat-MS-1:48

Hi,

you could have a look at Brian Laverys Ship: 5,000 Years of Maritime Adventure

https://www.amazon.com/Ship-000-Years-maritime-adventure/dp/0241298040/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Lavery+ships&qid=1596488233&s=books&sr=1-2

Jan

Current builds: CAF Granado Cross Section, Master Korabel Tender Avos

Completed builds: AL Zuiderzee Botter, GK Modellbau Caravel, Cedar Strip Canoe - scale 1:1

You might also want to consider The Story of Sail: Illustrated with 1000 Scale Drawings, by Veres Lazlo & Richard Woodman, published by Chatham Publishing in 1999, which you can buy at low cost. This provides detailed history, but almost entirely of the evolution, type, overall plans and rigging of sailing ships. It has no detail of fittings, deck layouts etc. I bought mine for £4 from Amazon.

Then there's an older book, The Lore of Ships by Tre Tryckare in 1963 which covers all types of ship, including sail. Also can be bought very cheaply. This is very nice indeed as it goes into all sorts of detail of the various types of rigging and fitting and is excellently illustrated. In fact it depends more on the illustrations than on text. I have an old university library copy which I bought from AbeBooks for £2 or so.

Tony