I see some of the ships featured here have scale planks, just a couple of questions I'm sure someone can fill me in.

When scale planking do you construct the hull with double planks?

Can you plank the first layer with strips that run the entire length from bow to stern, then scale plank the second layer?

Never had a lot to do with scale planks before and I'm pondering with the idea for a future build.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

What's the best way to hold the second layer of planking while the glue dries if you don't want to use CA glue?  I don't see a way to clamp to the smooth first layer, and I don't think using rubber bands would be very precise.  

When scale planking do you construct the hull with double planks?

Can you plank the first layer with strips that run the entire length from bow to stern, then scale plank the second layer?

Scale planking can be done over solid, POB, or POF hulls. The first layer of double planking on many POBs is to provide a continuous foundation for the second. For the first layer, you can use full length strips or multiple pieces per strake. On my current build, I used some full length, but generally used two or three so I wouldn't have to deal with gluing long (typically 17-18") pieces.

Brian

"Give you joy!"

Current Build: RATTLESNAKE 1:64 POB (Mamoli)

Kits on hand: "Lexington", Mamoli: "Robert E. Lee", Scientific

Scratch to do: "Fannie Dugan", 1870s Sidewheeler Steamboat

Cheers guys, once again this site is tops for getting those questions answered. Thanks

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard