USS Constitution by Boats Billy - Revell - 1/96 - PLASTIC - 1974 issue

Brethren: I goofed and posted my start entry for this log in the new member introduction page. Apologies for the procedural error. I've been out of play for a while getting both eyes overhauled. I can actually see my kit now.

So... beginning with a basic flat black coat on the hull halves, with the copper sheathing color below the waterline. Closed off the forward gun ports to rig as 1812 with 30-24's. Gun deck pieces are pre-glued together to accommodate my first custom piece - oak planking veneer. Purchased from HisModel and it fits well. Had to trim just a smidgen off the forward sides butting the hatches. I attribute to idiosyncrasies of the deck assemblage.

Going to be a slow build. I have a lot of after-market parts and am building shrouds/ratlines from scratch, with scratch deadeyes. The assembly sequence in the instructions will be modified heavily to accommodate. Been a long time since I've done this. Wish me luck!

Constitution Build (01).jpg

Constitution Build (02).jpg

Constitution Build (03).jpg

Constitution Build (04).jpg

HisModel veneer planking attached to the gun deck. Pretty spiffy look. OK, model-mates, I've hit the first major snag and course correction. I purchased acrylic paints and have discovered that small area brush work with them produces poor results. Heavy brush stroke visibility, despite using top dollar brushes and applying in one direction, etc. Going to pause and purchase enamel. Takes longer to dry, but given the end result, figure it's worth if. If any of you care to chime in on acrylic vs. enamel, love to hear. 

Constitution Build (06).jpg