HMS EREBUS by Heinrich der Seefahrer - OcCre - 1:75 - from the HMS Terror kit

Hello guys, 

due to the fascinating Franklin Expedition story I reached the icey shore of all these books about the HdSstrangly collapsed Franklin expedition from a german manga towards deep scientific books during the last few month.

413680381_51hYzyrFEL._AC_UL600_SR462600_.jpg.edd21846e2565a9ac41b1aa73f8d7c31.jpg

And it all started with tgus NMM booklet. 

I don't want to overstrech my abilities again and do start the kit of HMS TERROR by OcCre. Due to the fact that HMS EREBUS is also a bomb ship and only 3 feet longer I think about altering the kit from TERROR towards EREBUS by the inlay of a (304,8mm × 3 {length}) / 75 {scale} so 12,192mm{exactly} making a  12,2mm thick bulkhead. Cutting the centerboard and deck inseting the bulkhead beaveling the hole thing into shape with sand paper - sounds easy but is it like this? I also need to fill the space between the bulkheads at all to get a proper surface for the planking. By this I will earn a pair if surfaces I can glue the lengthening bulkhead inbetween. So the hull hopefully is a sold thing to work with again.

The kit is quite rough in deck detail and the changes will be planed from the

823510657_l2365_002(1).jpg.fabd81e4d7d5166e7eb4a749319e2af8.jpg

1887484571_unnamed(42).jpg.b8dbe885d443372fd355d4aae51ac945.jpg

survived model in the NMM with the correct colour sheme of 1845 and some books about wrecks with deckplans inside. 

We also habe some beautyfull renderings from the recent situation of the wreck coming from sonar pictures 

ErebusPortSideWeb_d.jpg.3c27d9de5de93798f6d5df12c4293258.jpg

and photographs of the real wreck. 

So is this a possible way to go? Or am I on a completly wrong track? 

"Let's add every day 1/2 hour of

modelship building to our

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

OverTheWaves.jpg.534bd9a459123becf821c603b550c99e.jpg

simple, true and inpretentious motto of ROYAL LOUIS, 1668

Sunking's mediter. flagship most decorated ocean-going ship 

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - Lavente flagship (based on Heller SR - 1/92 & scratch in 1/64) 

TONNANT, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - sister of SAINT PHILIPPE (mock-up/test-object for S.P. - scratch in 1/64) 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

French Pleasure Corvette (after Ancre plans - scatch in 1/64)

Some Spantaneous Short Term Projects

welcome to the terror club- albeit erebus, keith s and i are having fun making the occre terror actually look like hms terror nevermind changing identity! there were some structural differences on the deck fittings/ boesprit too. the plan in the book (i have this also) is actually for Erebus.

Keith

Hi Christian, 

I think that's an excellent idea! I was thinking a while ago that it would be fun, although extremely time-consuming, to build TWO kits and convert one to "Erebus". I'm not going to do it, but I'm happy someone is taking on the other ship!

As luck would have it, I have a very nice copy of one of the National Maritime Museum's draughts for these ships, which shows details of both Erebus and Terror. The most obvious difference between the two, other than the slightly different length, is the location of the bowsprit. On Erebus, it is mounted further forward, and penetrates the deck very close to the stempost. While Terror, as you can see by the kit, has the bowsprit "partners" back close to the foremast. 

If you like, I will get out my plans and study them for any more details about the differences between the ships. 

I'm excited to see you get a start on this.