Jump to content

Bluenose II by CS Sailor - Artesania Latina - 1:75


Recommended Posts

I am using the John Earl instructions along with the kit instructions. This has been very helpful along with the build logs I have found on this site. After getting the hull planked it was on to deck planking. At this point I decided to invest in thinner basswood strips so as to be closer to scale. I also opted to use a black sharpie on the edges to simulate the caulking. As per the John Earle suggestion I put the waterways in place first and then fitted the deck planks so they were at the same level. However I decided not to follow the curve of the water ways on the afterdeck. The earliest picture I took of my progress is after completing the hull planking. 

IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2681.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like a very nice start you have.  I've seen a number of Bluenose models, they make a lovely looking ship when you are done!  Look forward to seeing you progress.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to Model Ship World.  John Earle's instructions are a good supplement to the kit instructions.  Another good source is the book Ship Modeling Simplified by Frank Mastini.  This book is written for the beginning ship modeler and he uses the Bluenose kit as a basis to explain many of his modeling techniques.  Your progress to date looks really good.

Ryland

 

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

            - Ship Model Society of New Jersey

               - Nautical Research Guild

       

 

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice start, looking good!!

I found Mr. Earl's practicum and advice invaluable.

 

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

 

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. After planking the deck I decided to stain it and then get a protective coating on it. I made a real mess of my first staining attempt but fortunately the deck planking was thick enough to allow me to sand it down again. My second staining attempt turned out much better. Next came building the bulwarks following the John Earle instructions. I used bristol board to get the proper line from the top hull plank and then transferred it to the kit supplied bulwarks. I slowly cut and sanded the bottom edge of those pieces till they matched the top plank line then used them to trace out the proper line on 1/16 basswood. One the first piece of the bulwark was in place I added two more strips to get to the final bulwark height. I then followed on doing the stanchions. I had put a few in place to make fitting the top two bulwark strips easier. Next step is to finish the transom and then start cutting the scuppers. Any suggestions on how to neatly and consistently cut the scuppers would be appreciated. 

IMG_2685.JPG

IMG_2686.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Scupper suggestion/s....

Template to mark out and rill the corners and a scrap piece of wood on the inside of the Bulwark to prevent drill "Breakout.

Finish with a flat needle file.

 

maybe have a think and experiment on some scrap Basswood first.

(Just a suggestion.)

 

Looking good!!

 

Cheers....HOF.

 

Completed Builds:

 

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...

I have not posted in a long time. I made some more progress getting the bulwarks in place and the scuppers drilled and filed. I started on the cabin tops and also got the rudder installed. I stalled out for awhile but I have started up again and I am nearing completion of the hull. Lots of little detail bits to do and then finally starting the rig. It took me a couple of days to work out how I was going to drill the holes for the masts at the required rake. Finally got it done. The attached picture take me up to getting started on the cabin tops.

 

IMG_2692.JPG

IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Latest picture with most of the cabin top work done and now working the other deck details. Installing the prop shafts was a challenge as I messed up the supplied shaft struts and had to fabricate new ones from brass strip. Of course the big challenge is getting everything symmetrical. In the end I was happy with the result. I don't want to use the supplied bow scroll work but still trying to figure out how do this with paint. My hands are not that steady for a very fine brush and not sure if I can do a template. 

 

Bluenose II 2023a.jpg

Bluenose II 2023b.jpg

Bluenose II 2023c.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...