Occre Bounty Launch questions

peterbrowne

OK, just about to start planking my first wooden ship the Occre Bounty Launch.

I have looked around for other builds of this kit, but there is only one of any real content, and that doesn't show the full build.  There seems to be another, but looks like it was deleted by the owner Fifthace 😐.

In the Occre instructions, they state to:

Glue and pin a strip (41) into place on both sides of the launch, 3mm  from the top end of each frame.  Continue lining, using the strips (41) until you have completed the hull.

In the Part List, 41 are listed as "Lining strakes" 2 x 5 x 400mm and 35 of them.  The strakes are measured as accurate.  These are shown bottom pic at the right.

Now, there are also 'Hull lining" in the Part List 0.6 x 5 x 400 also 35 of those (actually a bit more...).  These are in Sapele. These are shown bottom pic in the centre.

What I'm confused about is that there is also a bundle of same sized wood in Lime wood also 35 of them (actually a bit more...).  These are shown bottom pic at the left.

But there is only the Sapele bundle in the part list...so 3 bundles of 35, but only 2 in the part list 🤔

So I assume I use the Lining stakes to initially plank the hull, then have a choice on using the Sapelle OR the Lime strips for the second layer of planking.  Would that be right to assume?

Pardon the obvious Noob questions🙂

1633794106_IMG_46611.thumb.jpg.063fb4dcabc761e9042a0c9c4dbe3e50.jpg

IMG_4660.thumb.JPG.e86a9f6496eed9dee5bf377c38dc45eb.JPG

IMG_4659.thumb.JPG.8b951b5f383b0d88396aba347c985a6e.JPG

Edited by peterbrowne

Hi Peter, the thicker, lime strips are used for first planking. After you are done with that, and gave it a thorough sanding, you plank the hull a second time with the thin strips. Looking to the pictures of your boat, the dark one is used on the lower hull and the lighter on the upper parts. This is very typical for Occre kits, many of their kits use this color scheme (like the Trinidad, Diana, Montanes, etc).

bounty-008.jpg.5afb18499b5c7d88a806a4adb5fc7596.jpg

Past builds: Prins Willem,  Amati Coca

Current Build: Occre Diana

Hi Peter,

Looks to me like OcCre simply screwed up in the amount of 0.5mm limewood strips they gave you. According to your parts list, there are supposed to be 7 strips.

I actually have this kit as well. It has one bundle with all the wood strips in it. I have 11 of those .5mm limewood strips. So, I got my 7, plus 4 extras.

You got 7, plus 28 extras. Oops!  Better to get too many than too few... 😀

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"