English Pinnace by EricWilliamMarshall - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24

Gotta tell ya Man. Your build is great but what I really appreciate is your presentation. You are clear and concise. I am working on the same kit and you have answered the questions I had that I was having difficulty finding. I am getting ready to plank. I took your advice and am glueing in extra wood between the frames to stop flexing. 

Did you ever apply CA to damp wood during your build?

I have played with gluing while wet. I did glue wood that was still moist. First, the CA glue works with wet wood.  I have noticed for myself that as the wood fully dries when glued wet it may shrink a bit leaving a slight gap. I have to be honest; it may be I *thought* I glued perfectly but didn't instead of drying wood causing the problem. Once I noticed this, I started gluing the wood dry and the problem went away (but it may be that I was playing more attention)!  I found that I could do a lot of bending with on dry wood via a heat gun. 

On 2/11/2022 at 7:35 PM, rudybob said:

Your build is great but what I really appreciate is your presentation. You are clear and concise.

Thanks so much! My hope is to make it easier for the next fellow just as others before have made it easier for me! 
'A rising tide lifts all the boats.'

Edited by EricWilliamMarshall

I was looking at the parts list. There are six  1/32 x 3/16 x14 " planks and thirty four of the 1/32 x 3/16 x 12". Did you use the 14" for your first strake?

Also, in some of your pics I see some CA glue. Which of those did you use to attach the planks. Are you glad you used that one or would another have been preferable now that your done. Thanks

• 3 months later...
On 2/19/2022 at 2:39 PM, rudybob said:

I was looking at the parts list. There are six  1/32 x 3/16 x14 " planks and thirty four of the 1/32 x 3/16 x 12". Did you use the 14" for your first strake?

I believe I used 1/32 x 3/16. It doesn't run as long as the others.

Also, in some of your pics I see some CA glue. Which of those did you use to attach the planks.

I found that I'm not picky regarding the brand of glue, but I found that thicker 'gap-filling' glue works best for me. I use a pin mounted in a pin vise to apply it from a drop or two on some plastic recycling (yogurt lids in my case).

Are you glad you used that one or would another have been preferable now that your done.

No complaints! I'm happy with the techniques and the overall look of the model. In hindsight, I wish the planking was cleaning and the carvings thinner, but nothing to lose sleep over.