Help with drawings

A beginner here trying to make sense of the drawings. I  think I am following the instructions on where to fit the blocks, dead eyes but struggling where which ropes go to the belaying pins. I have been trying to work out what some of the numbers mean as they don,t seem to correspond with the drawings in the the instructions.

I am assuming all the belaying pins are for running gear, however there are some ropes that start at a block or ring, on deck and wonder do they then end in a belaying pin or am I getting mixed up. I think the standing rigging is straight forward and  I think I can follow the instructions, however I am struggling with the running rigging. This will be my first attempt at rigging and hoping someone can help me make sense of it!

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Hi Dave,

as you say: belaying pins are for the running gear,  but part of the standing rigging is also set up with tackles, of which therunning end is going somewhere. Sometimes to the rope it tensions (likethe lanyards that are fixedto the shroulds), sometimes to a clamp orknight next to the tackle.

Bear in mind that some kits are rather short on belaying points (rope and belaying pins being usually massively oversized), resulting in the nedd for creative solutions. Also not all kits are historically correct with respect to rigging, also resulting in creative solutions on behalf of the kitmakers.

If you want specific feedback: give us the drawing to chew on :)

Jan

The model I am working on is the HMS Bounty. I have just finished the first layer of planking so a good while away from the rigging but just trying to get my head around it all. Here is a couple of photos of the belaying pin diagram so hope this helps . Sorry if these photos  are not great. The  ones of the masts and rigging I notice they have arrow heads which I am assuming go to the belaying pins. However I can,t find the corrisponding numbers on the belaying pin diagramm, some are not even numbered. I am obviously not seeing the obvious so what am I doing wrong? Thanks for everyones input which is much appreciated. Best regards Dave

DSC_1244.JPG

DSC_1243.JPG

DSC_1246.JPG

DSC_1245.JPG

DSC_1247.JPG

Edited by DaveBaxt

Good heavens, I thought Corels rigging diagrams of mybuild were a kind of jigsaw-puzzle, but this one is equally, if not more, difficult.

But I guess that it is what youthink it is: numbers in circles refer to the parts-list, squares to the belaying points. 

I would have expected also a number of squares referring to the pin-racks after the masts, as some of the ropes are usually taken along the mast to a belaying point near the mast (especialy the tackles that hold the spars and yards)

Jan

19 minutes ago, amateur said:

Good heavens, I thought Corels rigging diagrams of mybuild were a kind of jigsaw-puzzle, but this one is equally, if not more, difficult.

But I guess that it is what youthink it is: numbers in circles refer to the parts-list, squares to the belaying points. 

I would have expected also a number of squares referring to the pin-racks after the masts, as some of the ropes are usually taken along the mast to a belaying point near the mast (especialy the tackles that hold the spars and yards)

Jan

Phew! I thought I was going crazy. Thanks for clearing that up and its starting to make a little bit of sense. It would be easier if each mast had the same rigging or if I had a list. Perhaps when I know the names of what each rope does perhaps it will become easier. I have figured out that when a number has a P in front it is the start point and then the same number I am assuming where it ends os the belaying pin.Finding where it is. Once again I thank you for your help and I am slowly getting there. Best regards Dave

I was wondering the small black triangle....

I guess that you will figure out that not only each mast. But essentially each yard has the same rigging. 
lifts, braces, clew-lines, sheets (four of the major ropes per sail) ate a rather repetitive system. Once you figured that out for one yard, the others bevome infinitively easier ;)

Jan

12 minutes ago, amateur said:

I was wondering the small black triangle....

I guess that you will figure out that not only each mast. But essentially each yard has the same rigging. 
lifts, braces, clew-lines, sheets (four of the major ropes per sail) ate a rather repetitive system. Once you figured that out for one yard, the others bevome infinitively easier ;)

Jan

Jan The black triangle I think is an arrow. There is also a white or clear arrow which is where I thought would go to the belaying pin I too can,t figure out which belaying pin the black arrow goes to. Best regards Dave

Edited by DaveBaxt