HMS Surprise/Rose by Maddog Shipyards - 1:1 3D Model

smallership-2.png

Welcome to my project to digitally recreate the HMS Surprise, as seen in the movie Master and Commander. This vessel was converted from the HMS Rose, a replica frigate drawn from original admiralty plans. I will be hosting the progress updates on my personal site, however all updates and discussion will be posted on this site. Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum, as I believe this project is unique from other logs here! 

Introduction and Project Motivation

On 2/22/2021 at 3:01 PM, Sailor1234567890 said:

Quick question....

Are you planning to build the ship that was used for the movie, or the actual Surprise which isn't quite exactly the same as the one used in the movie. I think for a start, there aren't enough guns for HMS Rose/Surprise, to be the historical HMS Surprise. 

I am building the ship used for the movie, the 1970 replica, for reasons I listed in my Introduction/Project motivation post! The actual Surprise is indeed significantly different, I may take a whack at it afterwards for comparison

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting her lines! Do you know, if they show the shapes of the frames, or include the plank thickness?

Anyway, here is a schematic of her movie configuration I found some time ago - a plan for smaller-scale model used in the movie, actually, but it may be of help recreating the altered Napoleonic style appearance:

surprise_model_movie.png.8dfed1155a768e1fcf296e6335a7682f.png

surprise_model_movie_aft.png.e9a2ae5246691c236bcbed7f66f178b4.png surprise_model_movie_fore.png.ffb7e65a1475251974ec5cd6594b8ad2.png

Edited by Martes