Slablin, Buntline, Reef points and Gasket coil definitions

Trond

I'm guessing that I'm in the position as many other modelers in here, I'm new and the model kit instruction is not very good.

So, I've bought a couple of books trying to learn standard rigging and sail for ships to due my rigging on the Bounty.

My questions are:

1. Is Slab lines and Bunt lines the same lines just for and back of the sail? On the drawings it look like it.

2. For my both Reef points and Gaskets are doing the same job, tieing the sail together, correct?

20210329_151151.thumb.jpg.44631afb049f86a965b657edcfd9c901.jpg20210329_151214.thumb.jpg.f4391a0f22ee8fb8e43f3d50cde81388.jpg20210329_151254.thumb.jpg.68b2f024c27c99f8291eef6e7d86b46c.jpg20210329_151121.thumb.jpg.d9a65c7c3a01998e3c941df34b348d7a.jpg

Trond

'Patience Is a Virtue'

Current Build: HMS Bounty - Billingboats

Bunt lines run down the forward side of the sail and are hitched to cringles on the foot of the sail. They are employed when furling the sail to gather up the foot.

Slab lines run under the sail forming a large u-shape from blocks at the yard under the sail and back up to the yard where they are hitched. They are not always fitted on ships as there function largely parallels the bunt lines. They are used to haul up large "slabs" of the sail for varying purposes.

Reef points are stuck through grommets directly on the sail along the reef lines. When the sail is gathered up to that reef line using the reef tackles during the shortening of sail the reef points are knotted over the yard or jack stay effectively turning that reef line into the new head of the sail.

Gaskets are employed after the sail is furled. There are several spaced out and fastened to the yard. When in use they are wrapped in a spiral fashion around the sail and yard. They are what holds the furled sail tightly on the yard. When not in use they are hung in a gasket coil on the fore side of the yard.

Regards,

Edited by popeye2sea

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

If I am thinking about this correctly.  If you pull up on the bottom of a sail with the bunt lines only the foot of the sail is being pulled on/supported so you get the belly of the sail still hanging fairly free. Now you can neatly accordian pleat the sail up on to the top of the yard for furling.

With a slab line that passes up on both sides of the sail the sail comes up in a bunch with the belly of the sail also supported. I am not certain of the utility of the slab line.  Perhaps useful for spilling the wind from one side of the sail?

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci