AEC Matador - AFV Club - 1/35 scale - Plastic

This my review of AFV Club’s 1/35 scale AEC Matador, early variant.  I actually did a YouTube video of the review which can be seen in the following link;

Although I am familiar with the manufacturer AFV Club, a Taiwanese model manufacturer, I was unfamiliar with any of their kits until I saw a Youtube build video of the later variant and was impressed with what looked like a highly detailed kit. The early variant was the only one available from my usual sources so purchased

this one..  My interest is more towards support vehicles rather than the typical fighting vehicles.

1018504874_1BoxArt.thumb.jpg.a05e2710548471806b4dc200befa6556.jpg

The kit itself was released I think around 2014 but the part details are comparable with any of todays kit releases.  There was no flash on any of the parts with all parts being very sharp and crisp.  There were the odd injection pin marks on a couple of components, but these were located in out of the way areas and were very slight and will be easily cleaned up if needed.

In the review I couldn’t really detect any mould seam lines which will make clean up a breeze. Even the round tube exhaust pipes didn’t have any I could find with the fingernail test.  The kit would have you make several assemblies to bring together at the end with the chassis being the most detailed and ‘busy’.

This will require careful planning for breaking down to sub-assemblies for painting before final assembly although the colour schemes available would allow you almost build it complete and blast on the base colour. However I want to try various paint and weathering techniques so will paint as I go.

The kit allows things like doors and windows to be positioned either open or closed.

The kit comes with a small photo etch sheet with the item of note being the radiator grills which will sharpen up the front no end.

1789301053_3PE.thumb.jpg.e5dcc26f8f4776b35793736d06aef33e.jpg

What is surprising is the one of the main sprues contain the cab roof and cab front from the later ‘Mid’ variant with a small single sprue containing the roof and cab front for the early version which this kit is sold as.  I am not sure if the roof and cab front for both versions are the only differences between them.  If so you may be able to build either or with a little research for markings etc.

One of the things I don’t like is the tyres are vinyl and I would much prefer plastic ones as the vinyl may be difficult to paint and weather although I am speaking from ‘inexperience’ so might be wrong.  I might check to see if resin ‘weighted’ wheels are available.

I have included a few crop shots from the instructions to give a taste of the level of detail.

37868928_4InstructionDetails.thumb.JPG.5ae1317bafb0f51ac53bc7cac9544a32.JPG

1725591922_5InstructionDetails.thumb.JPG.ef2956c722bea8b0e9f6b4d9d05938f3.JPG

24206552_6InstructionDetails.thumb.JPG.f52e967936a6bc21b3d9c1bbe71ea845.JPG

I was pleasantly surprised at just how detailed and nice the parts in this kit is and there is now another of their kits with a full interior I have in my sights.  I look forward to building this when time allows or for a break from paper ship modeling.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)