Rigging the 18th Century Armed Longboat 1/24 Scale

Hi - I am building the 18th Century Armed Longboat 1/24 scale and am having problems with the initial rigging steps for the shroud lines. The manual describes "tan rope" to be used to rig the deadeyes together. The problem is that the kit comes with three tan rigging lines: WP1241 - .2mm beige jewelry nylon (10ft); WP1244 - 1mm beige jewelry nylon (2ft); and WP1245 - 1.5mm beige jewelry nylon (10 yds). I have followed the instructions with the thick (1.5mm) rope, but I cannot thread it through the deadeyes. I tried the .2mm line, but it seems too thin and though the line threads through the deadeye fine, the knot also threads through. I would try the 1mm line as it seems the right size, but it is designated as "anchor rope" and there is only 2ft of it. I thought about drilling out the holes in the deadeyes to accommodate the 1.5mm line, but that seems an excessive way to go. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.    

You have two choices, make the hole larger or the thread smaller.😁

Seriously, first have you waxed the end of the thread before threading it through the hole?   Also, before tackling a rigging job I like to arm myself with a bottle of clear lacquer type nail polish.  Buy a cheap bottle with the brush in the lid.  A small dab on the end of your rigging line stiffens it.  While drying, roll the line between your thumb and fore finger to point the end.

I personally don’t believe that kit manufacturers spend time sizing the line that they provide with their kits.  I would not hesitate to find some thinner line if you need to.

Roger

4 hours ago, SeaDoc said:

Hi - I am building the 18th Century Armed Longboat 1/24 scale and am having problems with the initial rigging steps for the shroud lines. The manual describes "tan rope" to be used to rig the deadeyes together. The problem is that the kit comes with three tan rigging lines: WP1241 - .2mm beige jewelry nylon (10ft); WP1244 - 1mm beige jewelry nylon (2ft); and WP1245 - 1.5mm beige jewelry nylon (10 yds). I have followed the instructions with the thick (1.5mm) rope, but I cannot thread it through the deadeyes. I tried the .2mm line, but it seems too thin and though the line threads through the deadeye fine, the knot also threads through. I would try the 1mm line as it seems the right size, but it is designated as "anchor rope" and there is only 2ft of it. I thought about drilling out the holes in the deadeyes to accommodate the 1.5mm line, but that seems an excessive way to go. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.    

Thank you to Nehemiah and Roger for responding. Both are much appreciated. I'll have to try to find some 1mm rope. I did use some AC on the end of the 1.5mm rope, and cut it to make a fine point, but it was still way to thick to fit. I'm glad to see that others have experienced this issue, and that I wasn't the only one. The manual does not specify which rope to use in all applications. I'm off to find some smaller rope elsewhere. Thanks again.

Tom