Katy of Norfolk c. 1800 by Jared Moravec - Model Shipways - Solid Hull

This will be my first build log in the forum (and hopefully not my last).  I had previously started 15 years ago on the AL kit HMS Supply, but soon realized I was in over my head and have decided to jump back in and work on a solid hull as I contemplate POB and POF kits in the future.  I am a bit along and have already shaped the hull, carved out the bulwarks and slot for the bowsprit, and am now working on fitting the transom along with some finishing touches on some additional sanding. Previously reported details in another build log on the Katy are accurate with respect to the need to use wood filler in some places where the factory machining of the hull was a but uneven in areas. I'm very excited to be able to share progress with everyone.

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

• 1 month later...

Jared,

Your Katy is looking great!  I have also found that the rough hull needs a fair amount of filler - some of which is my fault for being too aggressive with my sanding, but I will also blame the factory ;-).

I am working on the cockpit now - so your photos are very helpful. The plans are vague about the depth and I was uncertain how to proceed. Your photos gave me confidence that I am on the right track. Thanks!