I recently asked to finish an unfinished SOS model.  I was asked to  finish it to honor the now deceased builder.

I received several bags of materials, and many pieces are missing.  I can build the ones made of wood OK but the cast metal figurehead is missing.  It is a horse and rider and an important piece.

Anyone know where I can locate one reasonably priced.

I.ve located one for $157 and really hate to ask the family to pay that much.

Appreciate any suggestions,

Thanks

Tom

Cornwall Model Boats has a wood one for $71 and the brass one for $42.95.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I order from Cornwall all the time. They are great, but expect 2-3 (probably 3) week shipping time. Is the family intending to keep the model? If so I'm sure they would be happy to spend the $157.00 for the part especially when you explain to them that the minimum appraisal for a nicely built SOS is $10.000.00 and better. 15 to 20 years ago, I could have built and sold 3-4 SOS models for $5000-$6000,

It wasn't the money issue it was the time involved, none of them wanted to wait 2 years for the build to be complete, which is a hobby schedule, not a business schedule. This was back when you could buy the kit for $600.-$800.00. 

Edited by mtdoramike

• 2 months later...