This seems like one of those "stupid" questions that (so I am told) never exists...but...I'm wanting to gather materials to begin a first scratchbuild and the first thing that comes to mind is the keel.  Two scenarios: an 18" pinnace and a 37" minesweeper.  Any suggestions on what I should be looking for in terms of material?  I'm guessing at something along the lines of 5 mm thick stock for the smaller model, maybe 8 or 10 mm for the larger?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Current build Andrea Gail (Billings)

Maybe if your not painting the hull, I'd have to say walnut for the keel. But it is entirely up to you in the end. A nice piece with some strength in it would be good. Good luck.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

If you are painting, oak is probably OK.  If it is to be left natural, it is quite grainy and does not look quite right.  I am not a fan of walnut for anything except that I have used it for wales on occasion and that was American black walnut.  My preference is boxwood, European or Castello, the latter being less expensive and easier to find.  Box is strong, holds an edge, and with imperceptible grain in most cases.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thank you Allan. I have an opportunity to browse through a suppliers bins this morning (a rarity for me) and I will look for boxwood to suit. The model will be painted but still, grain would be an issue with oak.

Actually today I will be purchasing most of what I need to start my first-ever scratch build. I'm excited!

Current build Andrea Gail (Billings)