Securing a flagstaff

The flagstaff in question is the one which sits over the Transom. On my drawings on the HMB Endeavour I have a brass bracket a basically a piece of wood, The information I have managed to obtain from other builds is that the bracket is secured to the upright stansions along the top of the transom and I am assuming the piece of wood goes would go athwartships to keep the flagstff in position. I don,t believe this to be very satisfactory and from other builds can see that the piece of wood can be replace by a shallow block with a hole in it. I cannot find anything on the ships drawing anything about this flagstaff other than the aforementioned parts in the parts list. Perhaps this is due to the flagstaff being temporary and therefore does not need to be fitted. I also do not know the size of this flagstaff in either width or height or any other information other than the lengths of other flagstaffs carried on other masts which just confuses me somewhat. Hope this makes sense. My last build did not carry a flagstaff, the flags were just carried on rigging up to the top mizzen mast. Best regards Dave.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

During this period the ensign staff was held by two items. At the base was a roller with a blind hole for the foot of the staff. A block of wood on each side of the roller acted as its bearings. This allowed the staff to be rotated out of the way of the gaff and/or boom. To keep the staff in place, a capsquare was mounted on the fore side of the tafferel to retain it.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

1 hour ago, druxey said:

During this period the ensign staff was held by two items. At the base was a roller with a blind hole for the foot of the staff. A block of wood on each side of the roller acted as its bearings. This allowed the staff to be rotated out of the way of the gaff and/or boom. To keep the staff in place, a capsquare was mounted on the fore side of the tafferel to retain it.

Thanks for that and I think I know what you are getting at but not entirely sure. Please forgive my ignorance and hopefully someone has a drawing  or photo of this so I can get a better idea of the layout and dimensions. Best regards Dave

Hi Dave, you asked. 

I also do not know the size of this flagstaff in either width or height or any other information other than the lengths of other flagstaffs carried on other masts which just confuses me somewhat. Hope this makes sense. My last build did not carry a flagstaff, the flags were just carried on rigging up to the top mizzen mast. Best regards Dave.

The AotS on Endeavour, by KH Marquardt describes the Ensign Staff being commonly one-third of the height of the Mainmast above the Taffrail. The given mainmast height is 69' 4" which equates to 23' (Plus the Taffrail height)

This is probably not far off as in the ffm book on sixth rate sloops, David Antscherl gives the Ensign height as 24' with a base diameter of 4½”, tapering somewhat to the Truck which has a diameter of three times the top of the staff.

This should give you enough to fashion one for your model.

Regards,

B.E.

2 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

Hi Dave, you asked. 

I also do not know the size of this flagstaff in either width or height or any other information other than the lengths of other flagstaffs carried on other masts which just confuses me somewhat. Hope this makes sense. My last build did not carry a flagstaff, the flags were just carried on rigging up to the top mizzen mast. Best regards Dave.

The AotS on Endeavour, by KH Marquardt describes the Ensign Staff being commonly one-third of the height of the Mainmast above the Taffrail. The given mainmast height is 69' 4" which equates to 23' (Plus the Taffrail height)

This is probably not far off as in the ffm book on sixth rate sloops, David Antscherl gives the Ensign height as 24' with a base diameter of 4½”, tapering somewhat to the Truck which has a diameter of three times the top of the staff.

This should give you enough to fashion one for your model.

Regards,

B.E.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I believe I have read something similar but was not sure. I just cannot remember where. Haha. Its really good of you to look up this information for me on the AotS Endeavour . Sometimes I wish I had the book but found the prices asked for this particular book absolutely rediculous. I do have lots of other books on rigging but for some reason cannot find any diagrams of this. Best regards Dave