HM Brig Supply by CaptnBirdseye - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64

I've been lurking around this superb forum for a while now, and thought it was about time i contributed something back. I bought this kit many, many years ago - well before i even had an inkling of how to build the thing- i just liked the lines of her!

So as you can see, i've made some progress, then got stumped, and shelved the whole project for a long while. I thought it was time to bring it out of mothballs, and attempt to finish her. For the most part, i've just been following the build instructions. I deviated a little by adding the balsa fillers at the stem and stern. I've got to the stage where i have faired the hull (as much as is possible with the bow piece, keel and stern piece fitted), and am about to start the first layer of planking.

The instructions ( such as they are) tell you to first fit the deck facias. Both of these sit proud of the deck to where the planks would go. That seems ok for the rear one.

My first question for those of you who have built this kit is: should the forward facia be sanded flush with the edge of the bulkhead to allow smooth flow of the planking? Beileive it or not, it doesn't even mention it in their instructions. I have measured the distances on the supplied plans for the position of the first run of planking, (last image) and got them just about right i think (unless someone can tell me differently).

1Q4A1650.jpg

1Q4A1651.jpg

1Q4A1652.jpg

1Q4A1653.jpg

1Q4A1654.jpg

1Q4A1655.jpg

1Q4A1656.jpg

1Q4A1657.jpg

1Q4A1658.jpg

1Q4A1659.jpg

Hi RockinBudgie,

I haven't built this kit and I'm definitely no expert but it would seem to me that, like all the other kits that I have built, the planking should sit firmly against each of the bulkheads. Perhaps the forward fascia should have the same arrangement as the aft.

David

David

Previous Builds

HM Cutter Hunter Mamoli 1:74

Baltic Ketch Scotland - Corel 1:64

HMS Fly - Swan Class ship sloop - Victory models 1:64

HMS Diana - Artois Class Heavy Frigate - Caldercraft - 1:64

HM Cutter Trial 1790 - Vanguard Models - 1:64 

18th Century Merchantman Half Hull - NRG-1:48 

Current Build

HMS Speedy 1782 2023 Edition - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Hi David

Thanks for the reply. Yes that was my thoughts too, but i didn't want to sand it down, only to find out later it should be like that"

The more i think about it, the more i feel it should be 'notched' like the rear facia, to allow the plank to sit under it and give an edging to the bow planking above? Also, after a practice run with the planking, i may need more filler at the stern, under the counter, as the bend is quite severe 😟

Gray 

Edited by RockinBudgie

42 minutes ago, RockinBudgie said:

Thanks Andrew,

Yes i already follow his build but was worried about 'hijacking' his thread. I might just pm him and ask as you suggest 👍

Very considerate of you, you will be in the Admins good books 😁 I'm only back on MSW for less than a year, but think you will be fine asking questions on other peoples builds, that are relevant to their build and yours, just don't think people like threads going off topic or folk promoting their work on other peoples builds.  

I'm benefiting from that cross exchange with a few other "Bounty" builds at the moment, so dive on in!

Hijack away, I wouldn’t care in the slightest. 
Yes, the facias should be fitted first to frame 3 (forecastle aft) and frame 8 (cabin forward), then sanded flush with the outside edge-lines of those frames.

In reality, I fitted both my facias after the deck planking was completed, but I made two mistakes by doing that: If I fitted the smaller, foredeck facia first, I would have sanded its top edge down,  flush with the fore-deck ply (part 22). Then the fore-deck’s planks would have covered over the forward facia’s upper edge. Mine looks ok, but I regret not continuing the forecastle planks over the top of the small facia. 

image.jpg

Edited by Jobbie

Completed:

Billing’s Boats Cutty Sark

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Panart Royal Yacht Caroline 

Current build

Caldercraft HM Brig Supply

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

My second error was the cabin wall facia. I meant to plank the main deck, then do the hull’s first planking, then fit the facia (part 57) and sand its outside edges flush with the first planking. Then, when the second planking’s completed, the hull would have extend over the top of the facia’s outside edges and sanded flush. If I did that, the vertical yellow ochre strip in my photo would have been flush with the top yellow strip running aft. 

In reality, my errors aren’t really noticeable. But you will need to have everything on the sides of the hull flush and contoured to enable a nice, smooth hull plank run. 

image.jpg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

Thanks Jobbie. I'm going to have a look to see if by notching the front facia the hull planking sits flush below and butts up against it above. That way, the facias will act as a type of 'capping'. Does that make sense? If it doesn't work i now know i can sand flush and no harm done. 👍

Edited by RockinBudgie

The notch I think you’re referring to on the cabin facia is for the bulwark and capping rail. The foredeck facia has no notch because it’s shorter than the height of the bulwarks. 
You’ll be fine. Enjoy your build. 

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory