Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


About Jobbie

  • Birthday 02/01/1969

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Newcastle, Australia

Recent Profile Visitors

332 profile views
  1. I’m still here, but a combination of family life, work deployments, Scouts and an Airfix Dornier Do.17z got in the way. I’ll be back at the end of June. Apologies.
  2. I'm posting these to my Facebook page as well, and one of my friends asked me a question I don't have an answer to. If deck planks are typically 21 feet long (1:64 scale length of 100mm), how long are the hull planks? I guess he's asking about the first planking, because it's the full length of the ship. Should I attempt to keep the hull second planking strips to roughly 100mm? And if so, is there a shift pattern I should try to follow?
  3. Bugger. Looking back at these photos, I've noticed I've made an error in the left-most quarterdeck plank...It throws out the 3-shift pattern. Oh well. It will remain.
  4. Quarterdeck planking and bulwark lining complete. First coat of Admiralty Paints red ocre on the cabin facia panel.
  5. I’ve had to think about in what order I do things. I want the hull planks to sit over the side edges of the cabin facia, so it will need to be fitted first. But I also want the quarterdeck planking to overlap the forward and rear edges so I can sand them down flush. The transom sticks out sideways proud of the hull, so that will have to go on last. So so there we have it- Quarterdeck planking next, then cabin front facia, then hull second planking, then transom. So I’ve trimmed away the quarterdeck bulwark guides from sections 8, 9, 10 & 11. Ive been wondering whether I should laminate the facia and transom with left-over deck planks. But I’ll prefer to leave them as one piece.
  6. I’ve completed planking the forecastle and main decks. Now I’m lining the inside walls of the bulwarks with pre-painted second planking. A heap of spring clips hold everything in place until it dries. I’m using Admiralty Paints red ochre. I love it. It goes on a real treat!
  7. I’ve painted the inside of the hull black where possible, so it doesn’t show up later.
  8. I’ve given the hull a thorough sanding, and I’m quite happy with the result. The transom plate snapped in half a while ago, but I’ve found after gluing it in place, it all meets up rather well.
  9. First planking complete. 23 planks per side (from the bulwark to the keel), with 15 full length planks left over. Next- Lots of sanding.
  10. Closing the gap- I’m finding this bit easier than I thought I would. Still working from the keel, I’m planking towards the other planks. As you can see from the photos, the second last plank wants to stay centered. I don’t want it to. So I use off-cut wedges to push it to one side. That leaves exactly one plank width as the last gap. Happy with that.
  11. I wouldn’t worry about it. If you want total accuracy, Corel probably isn’t the way to go. The kit is a couple of decades old now. I have the same kit, by the way. Not starting it just yet, though.

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...