US Brig Niagara by milosmail - Model Shipways - 1:64

Making slow but steady progress. Here is a picture of the bow area sans bowsprit and with a blank dowel foremast placeholder. I rebuilt the kitchen stack from scratch and I added an entry with stairs in the forward hatch.

I have all furniture completed as well as channels. I have installed the rudder and attached blocks to the tiller, but I am waiting for an order with ME for my 1/8 (4mm) replacement blocks. Kit was shipped with a large quantity of 5mm blocks which (while almost the same) look very much out of proportion. I noticed this when I rigged a gun. So tiller will be completed when I have blocks for boom guy (which share an eyebolt with the tiller tackle). I also plan to make a cradle for the ship's boat that will sit over the main hatch midship.

I am also waiting for additional bronze pins for the fife rails - I miscounted the number I needed when I first ordered from Ages of Sail. This is my bit of vanity, as I should have used wooden pins for historic accuracy.

bow area.jpg

Edited by milosmail

Steve Brock

San Jose, CA

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Onward and upward (pun intended). I am pretty much done with deck details, and I will be moving on to mast construction. I only rigged 2 guns, as I don't like the cluttered appearance of a full complement of rigged cannons. I did the two just to show what it's like. By the way (see photo) I used Syren Shipyard blocks. They are true 1/8 (3mm) pieces. The new ones I got from ME were 5/32, just like the old ones that came with the kit - much too large for a good appearance. I will add coiled lines at a later date.

I still need to add the bowsprit, for which I constructed all parts last year, and finish my cradle for the ship's boat which I plan to mount on the deck. I have the completed main hatch, but I want to position the boat before I glue the hatch in position. I may add the channels as well, as they have been fabricated.

Some notes on photos: I built galley stack from scratch, and I added a stair well to the fore hatch (I'm assuming there had to be some access in the fore part of the ship). I made the pin rail braces from 0.025 in. piano wire which I bent into a simple "7" shape and slipped under the rails where plans indicated. Using super glue, I did not need to drill mounting holes... Each pin rail has 2 short pieces of wire underneath with holes drilled into the bulwark to secure with superglue. You can't see these support wires. I will probably mount channels the same way. Water pump was scratch built with the use of plastic strip for details. Now that I know how to silver solder (turnedd out to be super simple with solder flux, heat pad, and a small hand torch acquired from Amazon), I would have done it that way, for a better look.

Simulated bolt heads on the canons and capstan were made by drilling shallow holes in the object and glueing in short sections of 22 gauge wire. Once the glue set, the wire was trimmed.

deck3.thumb.jpg.0c917afa5b72164d7537c1883643503c.jpgdeck2.thumb.jpg.11e8048907eb9c7f6a6406adbcae4748.jpg 

As many other builder have done, I only installed two cabins to avoid the crowded appearance of three. The current ship has three, but I am assuming the original had fewer - certainly a companionway at a minimum. Also, I did not use the binnacle I purchased. There must have been one on the 1812 ship, but the model piece did not look 'right'. Current ship appears to have a binnacle plus engine and other controls on top of the captains skylight...

Taped lines will be used for the boom guy. Since they attach to the same eyebolt as the tiller sheets, I thought it would be easier to add them now and rig later.

There are several spots where various sheets are secured to the deck or rail, but I am unsure about adding all. Some attach to the clew of triangular sails, etc. Without sail, I'm not sure they would be present. (On a modern racing yacht, they are usually removed and stored when sails are stored or furled.)

Well, anyways, I am now going to assemble the bowsprit (but hold off mounting) and construct the two masts. I won't add the bowsprit until the masts are installed. My desk workspace is limited, and I am in fear of snapping the bowsprit off due to my carelessness at some point....

Edited by milosmail

Steve Brock

San Jose, CA