U-552 by kustumize - Trumpeter - 1/48 - PLASTIC - U-Boat

I am 95% through the build, and am having concerns over the hull halves fit issue. To get the halves to fit evenly would require glueing the halves together. This would cause problems if you need to make interior repairs, as in parts can come loose or lights fail. I see some cut out sections of the clear hull but this is beyond my limited skill. What are your thoughts?

On 3/31/2022 at 1:46 PM, kustumize said:

FRONT TORPEDO TUBE COMPARTMENT

Painting floor. The pattern on the center of the floor looks like a “diamond plate”. I'm not sure abaut that, but I painted it on Tamiyan Flat Aluminum (XF-16). I have Vallejon Carbon black pigment and Mig Ammon Fresh Engine Oil. i have no idea how i use them but let's see what happens 😆

1836723911_12Lattianteippaus01.thumb.jpg.53ee130281a1cd5d19b058c26535836b.jpg

748435063_12Lattia01.thumb.jpg.c837bec6741b1b339fad4d0459c5cbe2.jpg

Well its look dirty....

1003723639_12Lattia04.thumb.jpg.2bd3cbf154f851135c8f0afbf4f4b6b0.jpg

Very dirty...

1446401299_12Lattia05.thumb.jpg.97045d41efed4e3a0e4afdccb2edfe39.jpg

Maybe it even too dirty ....

Very , Very impressive!!  I hoping mine shows up by the Christmas Tree this year.  I already bought the 3 sets of photo etch for it.

• 2 months later...
On 11/20/2023 at 10:32 PM, rusty kilt said:

I am 95% through the build, and am having concerns over the hull halves fit issue. To get the halves to fit evenly would require glueing the halves together. This would cause problems if you need to make interior repairs, as in parts can come loose or lights fail. I see some cut out sections of the clear hull but this is beyond my limited skill. What are your thoughts?

I don't know if you've joined your halves completely but I think you can cut out sections of the clear using small cutting wheels on a Dremel.  I've practiced on some clear styrene pieces I've had in my junk box and as long as you go slow and stay about 3mm inside of the line you've drawn, you should be ok.   I had given thought to leaving it clear and masking off the areas to view while I painted that side.   But I've seen photos where there is a fair amount of glare.  The other benefit would be being able to make a minor repair inside if something came loose and need to be re-glued.   I'm a few weeks away from doing my cut outs and I have more confidence after practicing on clear parts.   I ordered the package of cutting wheels and small circular saws off Amazon.

There is build over on https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/construction-u-552-type-viic-trumpeter-1-48-completed-build.7496/page-2 , post #40, where it shows his cutout.

UPDATE 4/12/24:   I used the small circular saw on a Dremel at speed #1 and it worked just fine, as long as you take your time in cutting so you don't end up clumping the plastic.  After making the majority of the cuts, the rounded corners were done using a Grout Removing Bit for the Dremel.   Then sanded the area with 80 grit, 220grit, and finally 400 grit sand paper.  

04:02:24a.jpg

04:03:24.jpg

Edited by Fuzznoggin
Update on cutting out the clear section