HM Schooner Pickle 1800 by mc_chopski - Caldercraft - 1:64

Hello!

Welcome to my build-log for the Pickle. This is my first kit after working through the excellent Model Shipways Shipwright tutorial series of boats. One of the reasons I chose Pickle was down to the many excellent logs already here by other users (I'm very grateful!) - needless to say I'm excited but also terrified in equal measure - the quality of the work done by others, including some first-time builders is astonishing but also really inspiring.

I'm going to take my time and, as the instructions suggest (and you guys!), treat each step as a mini-project. I work full-time and also spend lots of hobby time on my sax so my available hours aren't many each day but I will certainly carefully plan dedicated time to this project.

Here we go and please bare wth me!

First things first - I have extracted the false keel and walnut stem/keel pieces. However, when fitting the stem to the false keel I noticed this;

2116884515_FK-StemFit.thumb.jpg.00e837e895a3a17b5494878bb87f8f07.jpg

This didn't look quite right to me - I was going to ask you guys on the forum but I've just this moment heard back from JoTiKa that it is indeed a 'mis-cut' and they are sending me a replacement keel. I'm impressed that they replied so rapidly and positively.

I've also made a simple build-board to work on in the first stages. 

With this incorrect keel I had a go a tapering the stern from the bearding line, learning from the many great posts on this form. I must say I wasn't too happy with my results - I've used my dremel and the 'taper' is very 'bumpy' and not at all smooth. I've bought some 5mm ply to practice on - any tips on how to get good results in a practical sense would be gratefully received....

The dreaded bearding line always causes a little bit of distress. Since you have an actual keel to add to the bulkhead frame it is a little easier to do. I draw out the bearding line from stem to stern, and sand it by hand rather than use a Dremel. It takes a little longer, but you have much more control. Some use and Exacto knife and chisel. Find the method that works best for you and stick with it.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Thanks @SpyGlass-your log is fantastic and is going to be a crucial resource.

The bulkheads fit the original keel really tightly. The replacement I’ve just received slightly less so but still fairly well…..false deck needs some work to fit, as I’ve seen in others builds…..

I do like how much time and care you give to prepping the keel/BHs-I will try and do the same.

Been focusing on finishing my Model Shipways Muscongus Bay lobster smack but ready to start some small progress with Pickle.

I've got my work area nicely set-up;

332659203_Screenshot2022-04-13at20_33_33.thumb.png.7b2daba6f4fe2d19938c606e86d2214d.png

Holes have been drilled throught the keel for later mounting and I've test fitted some brass rods. Not decided on mounting pedestals yet though. I've also fixed some bits of 5mm ply on either side of the holes, as per the instructions (not very elegantly but I figured they'll not be seen.....

246513526_Screenshot2022-04-13at20_37_00.png.fda36faf5a622bf9f7014774aaa7e893.png

Next - dry fitting the bulkheads - so far so good;

1118286765_Screenshot2022-04-13at20_38_53.thumb.png.c3e063b9ca000735cd7305ef6994515f.pngAs others have found, the false deck doesn't fit straight from the box and needs to have the aft-most slot extended;

472108123_Screenshot2022-04-13at20_41_56.thumb.png.7123ceb10a942b39e1bbf07ce3efe2bd.png

IMG_2105.HEIC

On 4/8/2022 at 10:33 PM, SpyGlass said:

The BH do fit quite well but because the  area overlapping the keel is small they are much more "wobbly " so they  do need care.

Please DO note that i made a major error which terminated the build - i over sanded the first planking - to transparency.  The strip on this kit is much thinner than I have been used to with most other kits !

Great to know @SpyGlass thanks for the heads-up! That must have been pretty frustrating for you.....

• 4 months later...

Hi 

If you don't mind I'm going to be following your build with keen interest.  I've just completed Pickle about 2 months ago after about an 18 month build.  A great project that, I'm sure, went a lot better because of the great posts on this forum by some very skilled modellers.  With a particular shout out to Flyer for his very detailed, honest and valuable postings & pictures of his variation.

Good luck with the build and, most of all, enjoy it!!

Malcolm 

Malcolm  🙂

Current Build:          HMS Agamemnon Caldercraft/Jokita 1:64

Completed Builds:  HMS Jalouse  Caldercraft/Jokita 1:64

HM Schooner Pickle  Caldercraft/Jokita 1:64