Toprope accurate interpretation on a model ship (late 19th c. schooner)

Greeting,

am back again with a question that came to me and that I could not answer via search and research so far.

Am still working on Gloucester fisherman "Smuggler" kit by BJ. While working on topmasts I noticed strange sheave, that looked as if having no real usage:

Plan.jpg.de07a85e12c9ec69b2d6092833744b11.jpg

Searching a bit I found the details of the same thing I believe in Petersson's "Fore-Aft Rigged" book:

Petersson.jpg.8237f88b95753082b42432e2df35147c.jpg

Reading also here through the topics, I understood the sheave and top rope was used to manipulate topmast, presumably for to replace or repair, simply to get it safely down to the deck. Now as seen in the first picture, the kit plan omits any eyes or system to attach the rope, what is present is only declared "topmast tackle sheave".

And now comes the question: shall I only include these eyes, albeit unused, or the whole top rope mechanism as seen in the 2nd pic? Assuming it was used only for topmast maintenance, I can see it was in use not very often and as such may have been removed while sailing? My model will be displayed under sails, so is it more appropriate not to show it, or was it permanently deployed and shall be thus also modeled?

Thank you in advance!

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Completed: Smuggler

The standing end of the top rope would be seized to an eyebolt under the cap, opposite the block.  You are also correct that the top rope would only be rigged when raising or lowering the top mast.

BTW, in the second photo, the second image makes no sense at all.  If you just consider the first and third images you have it right.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci