Flying Cloud by eyfeinsod - RESTORATION

Restoration scratch built Flying Cloud, This is my first clipper ship restoration . I'm not an experienced modeler. 

Scale ? Measurements 55 1/2"  bow sprint to stern, 41 1/2 keel to top of Main mast 8" beam.  original build possibly 1930"s

just started taking apart and documenting one step at time. Finding things I did not expect like use of fine chain to attach yard arms to masts

image.jpeg.e509bfe6e99e8216bcd7e7a10ec7bd9e.jpg

image.jpeg.f592cc30a355ce33b665fdac9e24692f.jpg

image.jpeg.ba4968c2c737199bcd4b5a51597d53f2.jpg

0-6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

what do I do next?

I have carefully disassembled and documented down to the hull.  I was surprised to find it still weighs 20lbs. I found out it's a poured keel and appears to be a carved hull possibly out of Basswood? 

I cleaned the decking with soapy water and "Q" tips about 100 "Q" tips and a toothbrush to remove 100+ years of grime and dust. after that lightly cleaning gunk with denatured alcohol got some bad spots off.

Do I work on the deck Items (cabins,and hatches) first or restore and mount the masts?  when working on the deck items a few were missing and some like the main one with rescue boats on top had the windows painted or on with paper decals now falling off.

Question on the masts: all yardarms were hung with fine chains? along with metal casting around masts. should I be faithful to original and replace chain and where do I locate such fine chaining?

0-1.jpg

0.jpg

I note that you've started two separate logs. Can you please amalgamate them into one for us? Thank you.

So, a major job started!  Fine chain is best obtained form a jeweler's supply house. In the U.S. Gesswein is a reliable source. Might I strongly recommend Rob Napier's new book on the subject of conservation/restoration of old models? It will address your questions well, I think. Available at:

https://seawatchbooks.com/collections/new-arrivals

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

thanks for your rapid reply! I'm trying to learn to navigate your site.  I'm not a digital/ web guy.  Jewelers supply is a good lead I guess your opinion is I should try and reproduce the way the ship was originally made.  All my research just shows rigging using string/rope nothing about chain.

I'm comfortable with coming as close to the way it was originally built if I can.  There are some major questions as I'm not a "Modeler" nor do I have plans on becoming one.  I'm just a retired educator/artist/craftsman (sailor) that is constantly finding challenges I can't resist.   Your and other suggestions are much appreciated!

Back in the early 1930’s a guy named E. Armatige Mc Cann wrote a book about building a clipper ship model.  The book was serialized in Popular Science or Popular Mechanics Magazine and full sized drawings to produce a 1/8”=1ft-0” model were available from the magazine. The book was about building a model of the Clipper Sovereign of the Seas but the 1930’s vintage drawings that I have are for Flying Cloud.  At least one ship model company, A.J. Fisher sold kits for both Flying Cloud and Sovereign of the Seas.  These were solid hull kits requiring the hull to be carved to shape, unlike today’s POB kits.

I dimly remember my father working on an A.J. Fisher Flying Cloud Kit, probably during 1946.  He never rigged the model as he began a full sized boat building project in 1947.  I have the unrigged model that I cleaned, restored, and put in a glass case that I built.  I hope that my children and especially my grandchildren will treasure it as a link to him.  I suspect that your model also dates from the mid 1930’s to1940’s.

With the poured lead keel, I wonder if your model was intended to sail.  I can see no other reason for a metal keel.

You are off to a a good start.  I would continue by completely finishing the hull and deck.  This should include deck houses, deck fittings, belaying points, etc. as well as any painting that needs to be done.  I would securely mount the hull; pedestals or cradle before proceeding to rig it.

Roger