Nau Rainha de Portugal 1791 by Anguirel - 1:46 - POF - 74 guns

Portugal has a rich maritime history and I always wanted to build a Portuguese ship. The stars kind of aligned when I was reading the Caxton Pictorial Histories series - Nelson against Napoleon. In the chapter about the siege of Malta they talk about the Portuguese squadron that helped in the recapturing of the island. In that chapter there is a drawing of a 74 guns Portuguese ship. That made me think that there has to be some ship plans out there. Apparently not a lot of information survived until today and what is left is not easily available to the general public. It's even more difficult if you are not in country. A few weeks after reaching a dead-end on my research and I was starting to look at other English ships I stumble upon the plans of the Rainha de Portugal at the Greenwich Maritime Museum website. Apparently when she was helping in the Mediterranean campaign she was sent to Portsmouth for refitting. When there, she was surveyed and a plan was made. Armed with the plans and the Drafting Ship Plans in CAD guide by Wayne Kempson I embarked on a drafting journey. I traced the plans in to a CAD software and following Wayne Kempson's guide I'm now drawing the water lines for the half breadth plan. In this section I came across a problem I can't be sure of the answer so I am asking for your help. 

In Wayne Kempson's guide the ends of the water lines end at the keel:

image.png.cb0f43e24d834da1158e6db98c4ecab9.png

But, on my CAD drawing, at the stern some of the station lines projections are "inside" the keel:

image.png.9ef1711763225c7114d7409ef1c7e42c.pngimage.png.e07b80eb1af31eaff01a80c45d3a68f5.png

Looking at the body plan there are several stations that end "inside" the keel, station 20-36 and a, z, x and u.

My question is where should the water lines end? At the edge of the keel or at the deepest point of the rabbet?

Thanks in advance,

Anguirel

Greetings Anguirel!

The reason for the station lines ending "inside" the outer keel line is that at those areas the keel timber is cut away, a recess, to let the planking run smoothly to the end of the rabbet.

You will see this if you look on the first pages of many builds here. I attach a picture of my own build as well for reference. 

But to answer your question on where the water lines should end - I would treat the keel as full width during the drafting and end the waterlines accordingly.

Then, when you start to build the ship, keel and frames are faired so that the shapes make sense. I had troubles understanding this as well and thought in the end that once building it would be clear.

Hope this helps and if I'm completely wrong I hope someone will correct me.

Sinceramente

20221119_182208.jpg.096278c57c9bc7ccc292184a21fdd1de.jpg

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

And another thing, please show us a screenshot of the plans so we can admire the selected ship 😉 

As you state, Nelsons navy is well represented here on MSW as well is the French navy.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Thanks for your answer Wintergreen, I will try following what you said. 

Here's a screenshot of the plans:

image.png.ec6214b5d19f387e695308cd44e38a2d.png

(https://prints.rmg.co.uk/products/rainha-de-portugal-circa-1791-alternative-spelling-rainho-de-portugal-j3203?_pos=1&_sid=ba49b24c4&_ss=r)

She was built in Lisbon's dockyards, lunched in 1791. Between 1798 and 1807 she has part of the Squadron of the Strait (Esquadra do Estreito) commanded by the Maqui of Nisa. This squadron supported Admiral John Jervis and Admiral Horatio Nelson in the Mediterranean campaign. The squadron main responsibilities was during the blockade of the Island of Malta. Later in 1807, during the first French invasion of Portugal she helped transport the Portuguese Royal Family to Brazil. She stayed in South America until in 1821, returning to Portugal in that year. In 1833 during the Portuguese Civil War she actively participated in the Battle of Cape S. Vincent on the Absolutists side. She was taken by the Liberals returning to active service during the Cartista Government ending up being dismantled in 1851. She had the reputation of having excellent sailing qualities. 

image.jpeg.8335f8ea6cba46c986e808790f345793.jpeg

Nau Rainha de Portugal in the foreground (https://forum.game-labs.net/gallery/album/98-nau-quotrainha-de-portugalquot/)

BatalhaCaboS.Vicente.jpg

Nau Rainha de Portugal during the Battle of Cape S. Vincent (1833) being taken by the 46 guns (also) Rainha de Portugal (https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batalha_do_Cabo_de_São_Vicente_(1833))

Almirante_Napier_a_bordo_da_nau_%27Rainha_de_Portugal%27%2C_em_Lisboa_depois_da_sua_vit%C3%B3ria_sobre_a_esquadra_de_D._Miguel_%281833%29_-_M._Yarwood_%28Museu_de_Marinha%29.png

Nau Rainha de Portugal returning to Lisbon after the Battle of Cape S. Vincent (1833) under the command of Admiral Charles Napier (he was the commander of the Liberal forces)  (https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainha_de_Portugal_(nau))

Edited by Anguirel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Finished the waterlines. I might have made more then I actually need but just wanted to make sure the inward curvature above the wales was captured properly. I'm still not 100% sure about the water lines ends but time will tell I guess...

image.thumb.png.121a25299dff61dda02906f3f756bcb8.png

Onward to the buttock lines...

Yes, extra waterlines and futtock lines helps when later the frames are created. It is futtock lines they are called, isn't it?

When I first tried my luck on drafting from a original plan I had to few and over time when drafting the frames the hull shape became more and more like an egg without distinct features. I know now that when I return to that object I have to redo just about everything...

Anyhow, your work is looking good!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery: