La Belle by Kranck - as per the monography of Jean Baudriot

Nicolas,

Your project is really cool. I am interested to see a lot of the work people have been doing with CNC machines. Marsalv’s le Gros Ventre log is one of the best I have seen for showing machine setups. 

I don’t consider myself an expert by any means, but there are a couple tips I have learned from other modelers on the site with regards to the basic woodworking. The first is that I have moved almost entirely to using chisels for cutting small parts rather than hobby knives. Even inexpensive chisels can be kept insanely sharp, which really helps. It is also easier to cut square edges. The second is to mostly use sandpaper that has been attached to plywood or wood blocks with glue or 2-sided tape. It makes it much easier to sand to lines without rounding the edges. That will help a lot with fit. I don’t think there is anyway around having to do some sanding and manual cutting even with CNC or manual machining. 

A lot of modelers highlight the edges of planks by simply running over the edge with a dark pencil before gluing the joint. Others have had good luck with tinted glue.

Adam

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your answer !

Yes , his Le Gros Ventre is a fantastic build. i am also amazed by what Oliver manages to do with a manual milling machine on his La Belle and Le Redoutable. 

thanks for the tips. 

I will give La Belle some rest now and think some more. 

Meanwhile, i came back to my former build, the smaller Le Cerf. No CNC there, and no admiralty build... much easier ans satisfying !