Bismarck Flag Decals (1/200)

Hi All,

have a question for the Forum and am hoping for some advice.

I have 3 DKM Flags, two for Bow/Stern Flagstaffs and one "War Pennant" that has a lanyard from the Deck to the Main Mast.

So, do I form the Deal around the Flagstaff's/Lanyard, or do I wrap Foil around and then the Decal? (I seem to recall foil being used somewhere....)

I wish to put the Decals on prior to installing Flagstaff's/Lanyard.

Any sage opinion/advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Wish I could answer this one for you, but it's always had me stumped as well. Strictly, a flag is a separate piece of fabric that is (I think) attached to the hoist (i.e. the rope) at top and bottom corners and hauled up with the hoist going through a block. But that's in the real world. Depending on the scale of your model that may be completely impractical. And the fact that it's a decal, not a piece of cloth or paper makes it even further outside my experience. All I can do is wish you good luck with it. :(

Steven 

4 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Wish I could answer this one for you, but it's always had me stumped as well. Strictly, a flag is a separate piece of fabric that is (I think) attached to the hoist (i.e. the rope) at top and bottom corners and hauled up with the hoist going through a block. But that's in the real world. Depending on the scale of your model that may be completely impractical. And the fact that it's a decal, not a piece of cloth or paper makes it even further outside my experience. All I can do is wish you good luck with it. :(

Steven 

Thanks Steve.

Appreciated.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry,

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Since your model depicts the ship on operation, you only need two flags. The ensign and the admiral’s flag. 

B799ED7F-7CF5-4258-BBF7-72BB05FA00C4.jpeg.a787adbfec395427bb9ae88a37a6d635.jpeg

8544EADF-CB93-4DA5-A0B3-2F2999E2CA80.thumb.jpeg.82f70d52a4c7dc2d2ab5650cb0fbcd2e.jpeg

If you decide to add the flag at the stern, it will be rigged like this: However, Bismarck was only flying 2 flags while at sea unless she was signaling PG. In Norway, since the flagstaff and jackstaff were removed, only the ensign and admirals flag were being flown. 

2F8D3D2D-7256-4FD0-BEA9-E5106F78601E.jpeg.54ca5407904a2849f106053298be0cdc.jpeg

As for creating the flag, I make mine by either custom painting them on silkspan for larger models, or painting directly onto primed aluminum foil. You can wrap the decal around some aluminum foil, that works too, but I don’t think it gives the best results. Make sure you prime the aluminum well if you do this, as the decal needs something to bite onto. I find that flags that hang down, as if in little to no wind, not only look the best but are easiest to place since their weight is directed downward instead of out and down. 

This is the flag Admiral Lütjens would have flown:7521ACB1-4D49-4C4B-8776-FCDDAF928DAF.thumb.png.c9c478833a9e44b46ffcb4975c67fab8.png

Edited by Joe100

On 2/12/2023 at 2:26 PM, Joe100 said:

Since your model depicts the ship on operation, you only need two flags. The ensign and the admiral’s flag. 

B799ED7F-7CF5-4258-BBF7-72BB05FA00C4.jpeg.a787adbfec395427bb9ae88a37a6d635.jpeg

8544EADF-CB93-4DA5-A0B3-2F2999E2CA80.thumb.jpeg.82f70d52a4c7dc2d2ab5650cb0fbcd2e.jpeg

If you decide to add the flag at the stern, it will be rigged like this: However, Bismarck was only flying 2 flags while at sea unless she was signaling PG. In Norway, since the flagstaff and jackstaff were removed, only the ensign and admirals flag were being flown. 

2F8D3D2D-7256-4FD0-BEA9-E5106F78601E.jpeg.54ca5407904a2849f106053298be0cdc.jpeg

As for creating the flag, I make mine by either custom painting them on silkspan for larger models, or painting directly onto primed aluminum foil. You can wrap the decal around some aluminum foil, that works too, but I don’t think it gives the best results. Make sure you prime the aluminum well if you do this, as the decal needs something to bite onto. I find that flags that hang down, as if in little to no wind, not only look the best but are easiest to place since their weight is directed downward instead of out and down. 

This is the flag Admiral Lütjens would have flown:7521ACB1-4D49-4C4B-8776-FCDDAF928DAF.thumb.png.c9c478833a9e44b46ffcb4975c67fab8.png

Thanks for that Joe.

I have created two of the three flags using a piece of Aluminum Foil sandwiched by the Decal.

I run a piece of rigging through this first for a Lanyard. (Longer for the Ensign.)

(The madness for the method, (Making Flags), was a link sent to me by OC in the build log.)

Article provided by OC::  http://www.modelwarships.com/features/current/flags/flags.html

I don't particularly like the Bow Flag, I think it looks a little "Cheap."

With my "Lanyard" for the Stern Flag, it'll be attached something like the photo. 🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson