Swift by shawn32671 - Artesania Latina

Quick update, bow and stern blocks are finish sanded. Philo, the photos in my previous post were of the bow and stern blocks just roughly shaped. I use a metal bur in my dremel tool to remove material fast, then switch to a sanding drum to get the shape close then hand sand with a small sanding block then finish sand with a sheet by hand and divots are gone. Next I'll be fairing up the sides and starting the planking.

DSC02675_zps9ca39119.jpg

DSC02674_zpsfbdde8cc.jpg

DSC02678_zps29a04236.jpg

DSC02676_zpsfff5e131.jpg

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Albatroscon80702_zps103cfe83.jpg  2-MidwestProductsSkipjackSmall_zps02b8cc Smallsakonnetdaysailer.jpg

Moonbug....Believe it or not but the twist in the keel as seen in my pictures above was way way worse than that before I soaked it overnight and flattened it under weights for a couple days. I still couldn't get all of the twist out but I'm hoping to try to get the rest if not most of the twist out once I glue down the deck sheeting.

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Albatroscon80702_zps103cfe83.jpg  2-MidwestProductsSkipjackSmall_zps02b8cc Smallsakonnetdaysailer.jpg

Hey Shawn,

I totally believe how twisted it was before! When I got my Santa Maria kit, the bulwarks were so warped they had split in two.

Back to the swift - my recommendation would be to try and get out as much of the warping as possible before you try and mount the deck. I think the extra work will pay off.  

Here are a couple of pictures of how I got some of the warp out of the front of my build. 

post-1158-0-78144500-1389034895_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-32211300-1389034896_thumb.jpg

I used some extra dowels cut to the exact length of the keel and spread them out to the bulwarks.

- Bug

Edited by Moonbug

Hey Shawn, I edited with the pictures, did they come through?

I finally got the twist out of the keel. I gave the hull a twist in the opposite direction and glued in securely a square piece of 1/8th inch plywood and it appears to have removed the twist, the keel is dead straight across my ruler and the tops of the bulkheads are all even with each other when looking across the top of the keel. Thanks goes to Moonbug for talking me into trying to get the twist out before I proceeded further.

DSC02683_zps917abb55.jpg

DSC02679_zpsc2dfc5f0.jpg

DSC02682_zpsb8584446.jpg

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Nice work, much improved. That's going to pay big dividends when you start planking the hull!

- Bug

Thanks 3sheets, I've waited long enough to get back to work on this, that's for sure ;-) Well, last update for tonight, I got the bulkheads all faired and ready for planking and glued down the deck sheeting. Please be sure to check out my picture show video of what is finished up to now on this kit at YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnDZ2IDFqNw

DSC02684_zpsb1acdfab.jpg

DSC02685_zpsc3e5df0b.jpg

DSC02686_zpse26f3ebe.jpg

DSC02687_zps1b055902.jpg

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

I know this isn't a major update but I got the first plank on each side glued down...I'm still new at planking and since most of my builds have been sheeted hulls rather than strip planking, I'm hoping I'm doing this right.

DSC02688_zps35e3c6e0.jpg

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Just making sure as I've seen several different ways of laying the first initial plank, some cut and bevel the edges, some do as I'd done and just lay it all the way across. Some start from the deck and work towards the keel edge, and some from keel up to the deck.

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

There are a few different methods to planking, that's for sure. Personally, I don't think I'm particularly good at it, so I always refer to other folks'.

- Bug

I guess you are only as good at something as you think you are. I sure don't think I'm that great at planking hulls but I'm learning. I did end up having to bevel the 3rd plank at the bow on both sides of the hull and will likely be doing so with the 4th in line as well. All in all, I think it's coming along nicely though.

DSC02690_zps36f26156.jpg

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Quick update...I finished the first layer of planking on the hull and just need to do some minor trimming and sand the hull before proceeding to the second layer of planking. I think it turned out pretty nice.

DSC02691_zpsc498d590.jpg

DSC02693_zpsb1ad4a3c.jpg

DSC02696_zps2a3d3a44.jpg

DSC02697_zps61d87aa0.jpg

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Nice patient work. Let the sanding begin!

- Bug

Thanks Moonbug and 3sheets, I always hate sanding the most but I've finally got the hull sanded and ready for the second layer of planking. I had a few oddball real low spots somehow that I had to fill in and a few high spots which are expected but it's good to go now.

I may hold off on working on the Swift for a bit because a Midwest Products Sakonnet Daysailer is expected to arrive in the mail this afternoon. Besides that, I need to give my finger tips a break from holding down planking and get this thick layer of CA superglue scraped off of my fingers ;-)

I have clamps but no real need to use them as much when using CA glue. Of course CA accelerator/kicker helps loads too. Sorry no picture to post of the sanded hull...It looks the same as my last picture anyway other than being smooth.

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Hey Shawn,

There always seem to be more bumps and valleys that you realize once you get started on the sanding.  :)

Be wary of using the CA glue, especially on the second layer of planking. Sometimes it has a tendency to seep through the more porous nature of the thinner wood and cause all sorts of problems and discoloration.  This is particularly true if you're using the pure liquid kind (as opposed to the gel). I use CA for the very small parts, but tend to stick with PVA wood glue types for the rest. I've had much fewer problems with the longevity of the hold.

- Bug

I agree Bug, especially after the trouble I'd had building the hull on my first tall ship, the Albatros by Constructo and using CA. I will likely go with PVA for the second layer as I'd had this very problem with stain looking blotchy and I'd like to have a less sloppy looking finish after I apply stain and sealer. 

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Nice work Shawn, I have this kit packed away at home, looks like a fun build so far.  Are you going to paint or stain the Swift?

Nice to see we both can't stay away from the Midwest kits for too long!  I have the Chesapeake Bay Flattie kit ready to go!

Enjoying the weather!

Edited by cdogg

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Casey, I had purchased the Swift about mid year 2013 and finally got around to working on it again. I was originally put off and kind of displeased with the fact that the keel was warped so severely and no amount of soaking in water and weighing down would get that warp out but all is well now. I'm thinking I may just stain the wood depending on how nice it looks once I finish the hull, it's still a toss up at this point though. Going to be starting the Midwest Sakonnet Daysailer I received in the mail tonight so look for a build topic on that very soon.

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa