Swift by shawn32671 - Artesania Latina

Hi Shawn, I look forward to viewing your log, and hope you will get great enjoyment from the build. You will find lots of help from other members. Here is a link to one of the members who has built Swift, you might find it of interest. Good luck.

Best wishes

Richard

Best wishes

Jimbob (Richard)

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

Hi Shawn

Nice model you got there.

So true, modelbuilding is a addictive hobby, but its also a very fun hobby.

Børge

Current build(restore, bashing)
BB582 "Dragen" Scale 1:12

On hold: BB534 Bolougne Etaples Scale 1:20

Not started: Model Shipways MS2040 USS Constitution 1:76

:piratebo5: 

I received the kit today, I was a bit worried since it was an opened kit and I was unsure of completeness but after inventory I found the kit to be complete...My only qualms are the keel has a pretty good twist in it....What is the most effective way of removing the twist? I assume wet down both sides and place on hard flat surface with weights on top and let dry (how wet should I get it?) or is there a better way to remove the twist? Other than that I've been bagging and labeling individual parts and sanding. I can hopefully begin assembly tomorrow if of course I can get the twist out of the keel.

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Albatroscon80702_zps103cfe83.jpg  2-MidwestProductsSkipjackSmall_zps02b8cc Smallsakonnetdaysailer.jpg

Shawn, you can try wetting it and weights, it will need to be pretty wet depending on how twisted it is. You could also try blocking the keel/bulkheads aif the twist is not too severe. If all else fails, make a new one from some plywood available at hobby stores. maybe post a pic of the keel twist to give a better idea how to best proceed....

I tried taking a picture but I can't seem to get a decent one that isn't too blurry to see it well...it's not an awful twist but it is noticeable. I'll try wetting it and weighing it down and see if it does anything to it by tomorrow evening, although I'd assume it may take a couple days to dry out....hopefully that does the trick as there are no nearby hobby stores in my area and being sent a piece of plywood by mail, I could still run into the same problem, Id rather see what I'm buying for wood up front as far as that goes....but like I said, hopefully wetting and weights helps.

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Albatroscon80702_zps103cfe83.jpg  2-MidwestProductsSkipjackSmall_zps02b8cc Smallsakonnetdaysailer.jpg

Hey shawn

Welcome to the Swift club, There are a few being built at the moment, several finished. She's an interesting little boat and a blast to mess around with, or at least I found her so. On the keel, as stated before wet and stack a set of encyclopedias on it and see if that works. Personally I replaced most of the wood for upgrades, but then my build is kind a bit out there when it comes to the average Swift build. So if I can do what I am, surely you can add cannons.

Thats the nice thing about rules, she your build and you can build her as you want.

So is that your Corvair Monza? I always loved those cars. I had a buddy that had a 350 that took up the backseat for many years, until he got a set of reverse gears and years later put in a V6 diesel back in the rear. Love those spread 2 carb setups.

Anyway, if you have any question, let me know as I've been modifying my Swift now since about february and am just finishing deck fixtures. Not sure on the cannons but much of the size is based on ratio and 1/48 is common and close, so may fit

Yup that's my Corvair, fun lil car too...I've had the keel weighted down since late last night but will probably leave it alone until at least tomorrow morning, hopefully the twist will be out by then...what size cannons did you use?

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

You should check my log, its linked in my signature.

I didn't do cannons......My build went with something completely different... It's now named The Dock Side of the Moon and is a Pink Floyd tribute piece :huh:

The transom was heighten and I inlayed the Prism on her backside, not to mention many other changes. If you have any questions on your build, feel free to ask.

If you are planning guns though you'll probably need to reduce the deckhouses like I did, as otherwise there's no room. On the size, I'm not sure if MSW has a topic on cannon size for the various pound shot guns based on ratio? That might require a bit of calulating or just eyeballing. There's a virginia gun boat thats a similar vessel and might be a good source to see what size it used. IIRC it just has one gun on a center pivot where the back deckhouse would be.

if you go here, pg 63

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/997-swift-by-themadchemist-artesania-latina-virginia-pilot-boat-1805-older-version/page-63

I think its post #934 I have a collection of 35 pictures of her progression. If you want a short tour to get the idea of what has progressed without all the details. The complete log may take a while.

I checked the keel just now after having soaked it with water and weighing it down flat on a table and it seems the twist has worked its way out. So today I'll be starting on the keel work at least. I will post pics and more updates as I get work done...thanks to those who are following my build.

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

• 2 weeks later...

My Swift kit was supposed to come with presewn sails, but were missing entirely. I had contacted Artesania Latina about replacement sails via their parts request email address and also messaged them through their Facebook page but have yet to hear back at all. Is there another way to contact them?

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Hey Shawn

The older kit doesn't come with sails. IIRC the newer kit does. but I'm not sure if they are interchagable.

Popjack made sails for his build and I think he has patterns of some sort that I'm sure he'd share, of course that still leaves you making them. Thats the route I plan on using, although I'll need to change them a bit due to the transom height change.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been busy with a couple other projects as of late so I haven't gotten much done but I did make patterns for sails yesterday from info Popjack had sent me and bought some unbleached heavy muslin from Hobby Lobby for sail material. Hopefully I will be tackling this build in the next week or so.

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

• 2 months later...

I'm finally getting back to work on my Swift build and so far I have the keel nearly ready for deck sheeting and the first layer of planking. As you can see though, it looks pretty rough so far but next is final sand the bow and stern bass wood blocks then fair up the sides to prep for planking. I keep looking at the keel thinking "dang that looks awful" but I'm sure it will look nice once the keel is sanded.

DSC02661_zps02e7e60f.jpg

DSC02664_zps4bf2075e.jpg

DSC02668_zps522132bd.jpg

DSC02673_zpsb9c7f233.jpg

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Always good seeing another Swift! I straightened my Swift keel by soaking, then filling in blocks between the bulwarks.

Have fun with the build!

-Bug

Good to see you back to the Swift, Shawn. I've been working on the Midwest Dinghy the last few days and really need to get back to my version of the swift (DSotM).

I'd also recommend a block close to the keel between bulkheads 1 and 2 for gluing the bow end of the garboard plank. It ends somewhere between the 2 bulkheads if you want optimum placement and you'll need something to glue it down to. Also, it too late now...but, I replaced the basswood blocks with balsa, it makes shaping MUCH easier.

Glad to see this build going again, I'm looking forward to seeing another Swift build. Its a great little kit for bashing.

Thanks Bug and Keith...I sure wish I'd had some balsa blocks on hand or I'd have surely tossed out the bass blocks for sure, I hate messing with carving that crap and there's no need for such a hard wood anyway. Also, it's probably going to be overkill but I plan to add 1/4 inch square stock between all bulk heads near the keel to have a good surface for those first couple of planks to have something stable to grab onto. As far as kit bashing goes, I really like the looks of the stock photos on the kit box so I will probably stay mostly stock with this build with the exception of maybe adding a few cannons. I had also ordered a set of pre-sewn sails from Artesania Latina and received them in the mail the other day. I was going to make my own from sail patterns I'd gotten from Popjack but the pre-sewn ones I'd seen online looked so nice. I've had loads of fun building a bunch of Midwest Products kits over these past few months but it's nice to get back to building a tall ship again.

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Shawn,

Adding the blocks close to the keel helps a lot. It does add a bit more sanding and evening out if course.

I also used balsa for mine to ease the process. You can usually pick up blocks of it pretty cheaply at most mainstream craft or hobby stores.

-Bug

A Hobby Lobby in the next town over carries an assortment of balsa and I was just there the other day but didn't think to get anything. Iu wll sure pick up a few different pieces next time I'm there to at least have on hand.

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

I think adding the extra blocks is always worth the extra time & work when you start to add the planking.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle