Order of attack for rigging a model (section)

bc_63
Go to solution Solved by cardensb,

Hello, first-time modeler here.  I've completed the hull of the Occre Santisima Trinidad cross section, plus completed the spars and all attached blocks, but am now a bit intimidated by the rigging itself.  Specifically, I'm wondering what you folks here generally do in terms of the order of attack of the various jobs.  

Occre's plans seem to suggest:

1) Main mast installed, all three sections

2) Standing rigging complete

3) Yards installed

4) Sails lashed to yards

5) Running rigging installed

I've also gleaned a great deal of information and learning from Michael (md1400cs) and his build of this same model.  His order:

1) Build the mast up from 3 sections

2) Mid and upper shrouds installed onto mast assembly; install upper ratlines

3) Sails lashed to the yards

4) Prelim install of much of the running rigging

5) Yards installed to the mast assembly

6) Complete running rigging on mast assembly (all dangling loose for now)

7) Finally, insert mast assembly into hull

8 ) Tie off running rigging to pin rails, etc.

9) Last step, install main mast shrouds and ratlines

So there are a couple of approaches and I imagine there are more ways to do this.  I've searched through this section of the forum, going back several years, so I'm hoping that this hasn't been asked and answered a hundred times already -- apologies if it has.  I appreciate everyone's input on this.

Thank you!

Bryan

Edited by bc_63

Most modellers find their own way to rig ships that is comfortable to them but if you want it to look correct you need to do it as was done on the real ships as much as possible. This is because the rigging was put over the head of a mast in a certain order. Below is the order i complete my rigging. What i will do, however, is plan each item ahead so as to install rigging blocks when more accessible. If you don't you will not get your fingers in to tie them off.

image.thumb.png.70d9ad632ab89987559c80d8281f0730.png

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

• Solution

My list is not as thorough but here is how I have tackled it for the few I have fully rigged.

1. Install all eyebolts into the hull before installing guns or anything that may get in the way.  Sometimes I attach a block and run a started line through it to tie it out of the way. Te starting threads allow me to just glue the actual line to the end and carefully pull it through later, only need a few inches (less is better to keep from getting confused)

2. As a general rule, I install all rigging from the center of the ship towards the edges and start at the front and work my way back. this means I am not trying to reach through standing rigging later to try and attach something or I have through through how I am going to reach a center line located block later (starter thread used)

3. Generally work bottom up. so I rig all the lower mast assemblies before moving up a layer. 

4. On the bow spirit, I generally rig the entire assembly of wood sections together before installing it and make sure all blocks are in place for running rigging.

5. I have not actually used any sort of pre-rigging jig assemble holding thing yet so when I do my stays for example, I rig a left and then a right side while on the ship.  I use a few sections of bent wire fitted to both dead eyes so my cord length is consistent. I do serve the cords prior to installing at the top of each mast assembly using a 3rd hand tool to hold the loop in one end while I whip/serve the middle where needed.

Yes, so my ratlines are done on the ship.  I just took an index card and drew a few lines spaced at the distance between "rungs" and clipped it below my work. I tied a few at a time and took a break.  I tired to keep a little slack in them but was not always consistent.  A jig will probably make it more consistent but I hate seeing all that thread wasted when tying off to a square frame.

6. I pre-rig all blocks to spars and if a block may be in a tough spot, I run a starter thread through it too.

7. All of my standing rigging is tied off at a pin or wherever it should then cut short.  Later I coil a bunch of cord around a pair of finishing nails as a holder and leave a long enough tail to neatly wrap around the pin like it should appear.

Hope that helps. I have an old build log on here where I posted lots of photos as I rigged the Prince de Neufchatel.

Shawn Carden
Fredericksburg, VA

Completed ships: 

MS kit of Armed Virginian Sloop of 1768 (2005)
Two Admiralty style Lexingtons based upon Clay Feldman's SIS Articles (2006-2011)
MS Kit Prince de Neufchatel (2006-2012)

LSS's Fair American (2013)

Harold Hahn's Hannah scratchbuilt, no instructions (2016 - ??)

In Progress: Just restarted after a 7 year break
Future planned: Washington 1776 Galley