Chainplate & Deadeye Assembly Question

In my box of leftover parts, I have a set of chainplate assemblies that a 3/16" dead eye from Model Expo fits into but the plate is a hard wire material.  I am trying to find a way to insert the dead eye without damaging one side when squeezing it into the plate. Seeking suggestions.

I have 16 of these assemblies that consist of a small "plate" with a ring at the bottom; a single section of wire chain link that is unsoldered to allow connecting the bottom plate to the ring on the plate and finally a soft metal plate with three holes that attach to the hull and to the chain link.

They might be from the MS model 1:64 Prince de Neufchatel.  My model looks like I may have figured it out once, years ago.

Anyways, I am trying to press the wooded deadeye into the hard metal wire ring using a vise now and am damaging about every 3rd deadeye.

Shawn Carden
Fredericksburg, VA

Completed ships: 

MS kit of Armed Virginian Sloop of 1768 (2005)
Two Admiralty style Lexingtons based upon Clay Feldman's SIS Articles (2006-2011)
MS Kit Prince de Neufchatel (2006-2012)

LSS's Fair American (2013)

Harold Hahn's Hannah scratchbuilt, no instructions (2016 - ??)

In Progress: Just restarted after a 7 year break
Future planned: Washington 1776 Galley

A picture can be worth many (if not a thousand) words ... so a view of your components could be facilitative.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65