Proportions of Masts and Yards

Hi all,

I am looking for info on the galleon construction proportions used to determine lengths and thicknesses of masts and yards for the years 1500 - 1600.

I have read "The Rigging of Ships in The Days of The Sprintsail Topmast 1600 - 1720" by R.C. Anderson. That's as close as I can get to the desired time period.

Anybody got more accurate info?

What nation is of interest for your galleon?   Keep in mind that there is minimal contemporary data available for the 16th century and earlier. But, as galleons were in use through much/most of the 17th century, the dimensions given in James Lees' The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War might work for you as the data goes back to 1627 if you are building an English Galleon.  If you are looking at Spanish galleons you may be able to get information by contacting the maritime museums in Madrid and in Barcelona. The rigging article by Danny Vadas in the articles data base here at MSW was set up mostly on Lees' work so could be useful for you for the earliest dates up to 1669.  Just don't use the Vadas spread sheet for the period 1670-1710 as it is unfortunately incorrect for any ship.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Good Evening Bill;

I have some contemporary records listing dimensions for masts, yards and rigging of English warships going back as far as 1600, if this is what you need.

If you can be more specific about what is your particular interest, I can PM you some details.

There are surveys going back to Armada times, but unfortunately they only list the condition of the items, and don't give any sizes. 

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

• 2 weeks later...