Things that moved with the passage of time.

Just curious as to how many of you have had something move with time passage. I’m referring to our models in regards to the building processes used; lessons learned.

Here’s my latest: Support beam fatigue. I had installed it with a support treenail but the part still fell-out causing the rails to warp. Maybe the drill hole was a bit too large, or the treenail bent with glue moisture? Too thin of a diameter? I don’t know. But like I said in my build log, we’ll just chalk it up to navigational error. I fear trying to force things back into place will only make matters worse. So, I’ve resigned to just reinforcing the fallen beam with some epoxy in the right places. I try to take into account the extreme temperature differentials within my garage workroom when building through the seasons, but sometimes I get stung. This took place over the course of a year or so. Maybe the top rail had too much tension after drying, unseen builders error? Maybe I could have bent the rail a bit more, but it laid in well when building and I don’t force things. If I have to force it, it isn’t ready to go yet, or I need to do it over. 

Anyway, I’m keen to see what you all have experienced. Wood moves in permanence, we all know. I have a superb oak table in my salon which never ceases to amaze me at how much it’s planks move. 

20231106_124910.jpeg

Edited by Auger

Completed Builds: AL Bounty Jolly Boat, Constructo Enterprise (logs lost in the great crash)

Current Builds: Constructo Bounty, AL King of the Mississippi

Up next: undetermined 

…for example:

this winter, it’ll be flush.

IMG_0550.jpeg

Edited by Auger

Completed Builds: AL Bounty Jolly Boat, Constructo Enterprise (logs lost in the great crash)

Current Builds: Constructo Bounty, AL King of the Mississippi

Up next: undetermined