King of the Mississippi by Auger - Artesania Latina - 1/80

As I've mentioned to others here, my girlfriend has been dropping hints about this model for quite some time. So while she's away at her parent's place this week, I took the opportunity to exercise my Amazon Prime rights to get a kit in hand ASAP. So without further delay...

Box.jpg

Completed Builds: AL Bounty Jolly Boat, Constructo Enterprise (logs lost in the great crash)

Current Builds: Constructo Bounty, AL King of the Mississippi

Up next: undetermined 

...let's start by laying the keel down in the dungeon! We'll try to keep this a secret for as long as possible. I know that I'll eventually get caught, but let's see how far we can get before that happens shall we? This will also give me a little breather from rigging the Bounty there. You know, when your patience in tying knots starts to run a bit thin and you just want to cut and sand stuff?

Keel.jpg

Completed Builds: AL Bounty Jolly Boat, Constructo Enterprise (logs lost in the great crash)

Looks like a nice kit and you have a good start on it.  I will not tell anyone your secret.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

34 minutes ago, Ryland Craze said:

Looks like a nice kit and you have a good start on it.  I will not tell anyone your secret.

I've cleaned out a little hole under the workbench so when I hear her coming down the stairs, I can try to slide it under there out of sight and act like I'm just working on the Bounty. I'm keen to see if I can pull this off until the end, I doubt it, but It'll be a fun game.

Got the bulkheads planked. Unfortunately, the kit came up one or two veneer strips short. Luckily I had a couple left over from my Bounty build so I had to do a little patchwork with the different woods. Personally' I kind of like the look:

PortPlanking.jpg

StbdPlanking.jpg

Yeah... not even close.

So I took some of the scrap wood from the laser cut parts and built my own sternpost. I worked a little Dremel magic and cut a wedge into the scrap but the first try was a bit off, so I went at it again and I'm happy with the second go.

SternPostFail.jpg

SternPostBuild.jpg

SternPostWedge.jpg

I also like astrophotography. Here's my latest project, the Andromeda galaxy, which is sitting at about 7.5 hours of total integration time. I'm in a heavily light polluted area so it takes a lot more data to get something presentable in comparison to someone who shot images in, say, BFE Arizona who can match this result with 2 hours of data or less. 

Andromeda.jpg

Wasn't really sure if I wanted to treenail the deck or not, but after further consideration, I decided to go all-in:

Treenails.jpg

Treenailing is, for the most part, done. Also, here's a pic of the scratch sternpost:

TreenailingDone.jpg

ScratchPost.jpg

Just plugging along with the veneer on the engine room.

Oh, and by the way, the cat's out of the bag regarding the secret build. I questioned whether she wanted a painted model or natural wood. So, I had to show her what I was doing because I'm at that pivotal point of the build where it's one or the other. She was really happy and surprised that I had so much finished already and decided that she would prefer the natural wood look for her river boat.

So, let's continue...

EngineRoom.jpg

ForeRoom.jpg

23 hours ago, Paul Jarman said:

Nice job so far. Just completed This kit myself. I chose to paint it.

Paul

I would have liked to have painted it to resemble a more true to life river boat, but it's her model and she chose the natural wood look. I showed her several photos from the forum here of painted versions side by side with natural wood builds, maybe even showed her yours, but that's what she decided on in the end. 

Personally, one thing I didn't like about this kit was the enormous hinges and nails on the double doors, so I decided to take a different approach. I backed the doors with some scrap veneer and changed the hinging a bit. I like the way it came out; didn't want people to be able to see the ply backing inside the room anyway:

KitHinge.jpg

DoorSupport.jpg

DoorsInstalled.jpg

MyHinge.jpg