Seizing Blocks With Alternate Half Hitch Knots

Glenn-UK

Seizing a Block

I have often described in my build log posts the method I use to seize a block using a series of alternate half hitch knots. Today I thought I would make a video showing how I do this in real time. In this video a 4mm single block is wrapped with 0.25mm black thread and then seized with 0.1mm black thread.

With the block held in place using my quadhands the video starts after a length of 0.25mm black thread had been wrapped around the block.

Sometimes the seizing can slide away from the block during the seizing process therefore you will note after I added the first pair of half hitch knots a touch a ca glue was used to prevent the slide from happening.

This video also shows that once I had completed the seizing a micro drill was used to check the block hole and the required rigging line was then test threaded.

This method works really well for me, but I know modellers will have other methods which suits them better,

Glenn (UK)

Thanks for showing this in a video. I have used half-hitches actually ever since I got into this kind of ship-modelling. I don't use CA glue though, but rather fast-drying varnish, so that I can slip thing up tight against the block, if needed by just a drop of solvent.

However, it seems to me that you are using a series of overhand-knots rather than half-hitches !? Of course, this works well.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg