Gloucester Fishing Schooner Hull Planking

I've attached some copies of planking plans for the L.A. Dunton Gloucester Fishing Schooner undergoing restoration at Mystic Seaport Museum, Mystic, Ct. These are actual reference documents. The Dunton was launched in 1923 and representative of the Gloucester Schooners of that period. She carried ten Dory's and a crew of 24 (20 fisherman and 4 crew).  It's very close in size to Bluenose and may share many of the construction techniques, haven't researched the Bluenose. Of particular interest is the tapering of bow planks and use of stealer planks near the stern. The "devil is in the detail". 20231213_082630.thumb.jpg.91da51068fef3226c7fdf8b1a60e65fe.jpg

I compared these drawings to the Model Shipways Benjamin Latham plans and they are a close match. Included a few pictures from inside the hull, the ceiling planks which have been removed were red oak, 4" x 12"

20231213_082801.jpg

20231213_111948.jpg

20231213_111942.jpg

20231025_094335.jpg

20231025_095109.jpg

20231025_095113.jpg

20231025_094347.jpg

32 minutes ago, Capt. Kelso said:

L.A. Dunton Gloucester Fishing Schooner

Are these available for sale from Mystic or can they be found elsewhere.  The photos you posted are fantastic and the plans look really good.  Would love to get a set into my own archives for the next schooner project.

IF you are thinking of building a model of her, while it is a huge pain in the neck to use, Chapelle's American Fishing Schooners should be very useful.  Bluenose (1921) and L.A. Dunton (1923) are contemporaries in time so you are probably right that contemporary information on Bluenose might be very useful.  The scantlings may be quite different as the lengths that I could find appear to be very different at 104 feet and 143 feet.    The Ernestina (nee Effie M. Morrisey) may be more useful as she was 112 feet and there are very detailed drawings and photos in the Library of Congress downloadable for free.  https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.ma1719.sheet?st=gallery and https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.ma1719.photos?st=gallery

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Dunton plans are available from the Mystic Ships Plan Store (Ships Plans Store | Mystic Seaport Ships Plans), 5 sheets, 1/4" Scale. Oddly enough the closest comparable Schooner is the "Ellsie". 

I have considered building a Dunton, thought of converting a kit on the market. However, there's nothing close to its profile in 1/4" scale, basically I would have to scratch build. Just not up to the task right now. At present I am aware of only two Dunton models, one by Tom Lauria, Fishing Schooner, L.A. Dunton – Model Ships & Boats by (tjlauria.com) and one contracted by Mystic Museum. Tom Lauria used the Seaport Plans plus many trips to Mystic to research measurements and details.

A fellow Seaport Volunteer built a half hull model using the plans. We both worked on the Dunton removing ceiling planks!

Thanks for the link

4 hours ago, Capt. Kelso said:

Dunton plans are available from the Mystic Ships Plan Store (Ships Plans Store | Mystic Seaport Ships Plans), 5 sheets, 1/4" Scale.

Thank you very much for the link Cap.    From what I read on the Mystic site Elsie was 124 feet so scantlings may be quite different than the L. A. Dunton.   I think the Ernestina may be closer regarding scantlings.  Either way, both are great sources and I have not yet built either Elsie or Dunton so fun awaits.  Personally I would lean towards the latter as it has not been done to death like Bluenose and Elsie.  

4 hours ago, Capt. Kelso said:

We both worked on the Dunton removing ceiling planks!

I envy you as you are so fortunate to have had such a great opportunity.   Hope you saved some of the scrap wood and incorporate it into your model.  I did that with a piece of keel I pulled from a scrap heap in St. Michaels where they were rebuilding skipjacks and used it for a little of the planking and the keel.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU