Armed Launch 1795-1865 by Story - FINISHED - ~1/96th-100th

Figured I'd fiddle with the 32' cutter from Revell's USS CONSTITUTION kit and work it up as one of those armed launches frequently tasked with picket boat duties or raiding, from the Barbary coast to the Confederate waters.

Here's one during a Mexican War adventure

Most seem to sport a lanteen rig but there's a reverse rig that suit a bow gun better.  

So here's what we have to mess with 

An upper and lower hull seemed to be the best way to divide the work. Crates and barrels salvaged courtesy of an RE Lee riverboat that had it's deck chopped.  

I'd been thinking a sweep oar for a rudder, but the tiny boatswain probably wouldn't like that  

VZPNA1Q (1).jpg

7uc1206 (1).png

C0nUTAI (1).jpg

etndznw (1).jpg

jZwy3JC (1).jpg

08qJVYQ (1).jpg

frOFP0u (1).jpg

US Navy Launches changed significantly during the period before the Civil War. Note that I refer to a specific boat type, not just any boat carried aboard a Warship.  First of all they were sloop rigged. Ref; US Navy Ordinance Instructions 1860.  Other details are listed in period seamanship manuals.

Roger

On 2/27/2024 at 11:51 AM, Roger Pellett said:

US Navy Launches changed significantly during the period before the Civil War. Note that I refer to a specific boat type, not just any boat carried aboard a Warship.  First of all they were sloop rigged. Ref; US Navy Ordinance Instructions 1860.  Other details are listed in period seamanship manuals.

Roger

Damned good thing I don't have a thin skin, Roger.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Story

For the future, there are 11 high res plans of gunboats on the Wiki Commons RMG site as well as launches  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Ship_plans_of_the_Royal_Museums_Greenwich

There are more in low res on the RMG Collections  including a rigged armed launch.  https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-85090

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• The title was changed to Armed Launch 1795-1865 by Story - FINISHED - ~1/96th-100th