Chesapeake Bay Skipjack by shawn32671 - Midwest Products - Small

Shawn,

That looks wonderful!!

I did this model about 20 years ago, and I really had a great time with it. My model did not have the large bottom planks. The original skipjack had a herringbone plank arrangement, and we had to plank the bottom with 1/4" wide strips. It was fun.

BTW, why do they have those large blocks at the bow? Because that's what the original skipjacks had (boatwrights had to carve them out, just like you). Since the herringbone planking went up to those bow blocks, I assume Midwest left the bow blocks in and covered the bottom with single sheets of basswood.

This particular boat is shown in American Small Sailing Craft. According to Chapelle (maybe you already know this), this boat was called an "Oyster Pirate", because, at the time, dredging for oysters was illegal (Tonging was the only legal method of harvest). So this boat would go out at night and dredge for oysters. He also said that someone later installed a gasoline engine in it, and it blew up and sank about 1930.

If you don't have the book The Skipjack by Steve Rogers, you should get it. His Skipjack is a larger model (both in size and scale) and he has a lot of good weathering techniques in it-he also shows how to build an oyster dredge. That is a fun project in itself.

Have fun!

Harvey

Thanks Harvey, it's sure been a lot of fun to build so far. I had considered substituting planking strips for the sheeting used in the kit since I need more practice for my tall ship builds. The sheets do in fact butt up against the bow blocks in this kit rather than cover them up but it could easily have been sheeted i that area too and would have made it easier. All in all though I have been fairly happy with the kit materials and how the boat has come together so far.

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Albatroscon80702_zps103cfe83.jpg  2-MidwestProductsSkipjackSmall_zps02b8cc Smallsakonnetdaysailer.jpg

This will be the last update for now I think. Everything is completed on the hull and sail making and all mast and rigging work is left. I'm saving the remainder for a later date and going back to work on the Lobster Smack build for awhile. Thanks to those who have followed my builds thus far.

Be sure to check out my latest build log picture show on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUXORrfEZoY

DSC02441_zpsf03c86f5.jpg

DSC02442_zps88be0441.jpg

DSC02448_zps18e929ee.jpg

DSC02456_zpsf04d519d.jpg

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Albatroscon80702_zps103cfe83.jpg  2-MidwestProductsSkipjackSmall_zps02b8cc Smallsakonnetdaysailer.jpg

Not a heck of a lot done tonight, just the mast, boom and jib clubs painted and blocks added. I can't sleep so I'm going to tackle making the main and jib sails yet before bed. Hopefully I get the rigging finished tomorrow sometime.

DSC02620_zpsbc2c7280.jpg

DSC02621_zps049888f1.jpg

DSC02622_zpsf1837cd9.jpg

DSC02623_zps344925a7.jpg

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Thanks Eamonn, work on this build is coming along nicely and could possibly be finished by late this evening if all goes well. I have the sails finished besides adding the reef lines yet after that I'll be starting on the rigging work. I'll post an update with pictures a little later.

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa